Life is hard...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fm

Post by fm »

To Solimum,

You don't mean Wee Gordy, do you? Or is it the Darling man? Or possibly our esteemed speaker?

I have always been surprised by the number of Scots who reach high office. In theory it should be one in every 11 if it was to be representative, but, looking at the last 3 labour leaders, we have John Smith (Scot), Tony Blair (educated in Scotland) and Gordon Brown (a Scot). We have a similarly odd proportion with the LibDems, about every second one being a Scot (David Steele, Charles Kennedy and Jo Grimmond). We seem to have failed to infiltrate the Tory party, however, although Cameron is definitely a Scottish surname so maybe we are doing it by stealth in this case.

And actually no, we don't want them back. We have enough awful ones of our own in the Scottish parliament.
KB

Post by KB »

Going back to the discussion about school rules I wasn't meaning that teachers chould have to justify a rule each time an individual child questioned it more that the school council or even an individual willing to put their case in a thoughtful manner should be able to ask a senior member of staff to explain why the rule was there.

As to mutual respect then I do think teachers should treat children with respect - thats not the same as being soft - just polite in the way they address a child (that doesn't exclude getting cross!).

As for listening to a child's point of view - I would say this is important up to a point, but needs to have limits eg not letting an individual disrupt a class.
moose

Post by moose »

Having a boy i have not the slightest idea what are hair bobbles. Could somebody enlighten me? :)
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi Moose,
Bobbles are elastic bands with little balls/decorations on which girls put on ponytails , bunches, plaits etc!! :lol:
guest42

more snippets from the school council

Post by guest42 »

RH reported that only girls are allowed upstairs in the classrooms to talk during break times and that the boys can only use the common rooms which are too loud for conversations.

(boys...conversation..together surely not!)

ME has requested that a dart board should be bought for 6th Form use while the pool tables and other amusements are being used. It was generally thought that this was a very dangerous idea but if Mr H could regulate it and keep control of the darts, it could potentially be feasible

(Health and Safety is for the comps!)

GJ reported that the Year 10’s had been promised new furniture at the start of the year. Mr C said he will look into it, but it was generally felt that the current furniture is adequate and new furniture may be damaged in the same way.

(so what's this about being damaged?)

Temperature in the Common Rooms
JC said that the Year 11 Common Room has no heating.

Mr C agreed to investigate. (Post Meeting Note: Mr C visited the common room and turned the radiator on. Heat infused the room within seconds)