Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:40 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Deposits
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:52 am 
DS has got into 2nd and 3rd choice schools but both require hefty deposits. We are in no position to afford multiple non-refundable deposits and I actually disagree with taking a place away from a child by accepting and then declining (my view - not judging others). If we pay for 2nd choice then we will be accepting it regardless of if he gets into 1st choice (find out after deadline of 2nd and 3rd) but we will be absolutely gutted if he gets into 1st choice and we cannot take the place. If we turn down 2nd choice and he doesn't get into 1st I don't think I will be that bothered but it does leave us looking for another school, and maybe I will be bothered at the time! :( For a number of reasons there is no way of finding out 1st choice decision until after deadlines.

Any advice?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm
Posts: 558
Location: Wales
Can't you contact 2nd and 3rd choice and inform them that you wish to delay your decision 'while you: consult family / come for another visit / put arrangements in place / a.n. other reason' ? We had to do this and the school was very understanding. In fact, even when we finally sent our 'no thanks' they contacted us to improve their offer and give us more time to consider!

In a way it's nice to have choices but understand how you feel in this situation. What's your / DS's gut feel about possible result from 1st choice? Is it strong enough to take a gamble? Ooooh having written that word it looks a bit scary - no, don't gamble with DS's education!

Sorry can't be of more help - crossing fingers instead!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:16 pm
Posts: 2113
At least it sounds like you are now resolved as to what your 1st choice is. :)

Never been in this position myself but if you lose your second choice and are .."not that bothered" and it requires a hefty deposit, it sounds as is it is 2nd choice by a long way and would you really be happy with it?

Sounds like you really want your first choice lots and will have to deal with other arising issues when that is resolved.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm
Posts: 558
Location: Wales
Just had a thought.

If you were offered all 3 on a plate simultaneously right now and were told you can have any one of them, would you absolutely definitely choose that school?

Sometimes we want what we can't have. Do you want that school because it is the only one you can't have at the moment?

I only pose this because I am like this sometimes and have to watch it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:22 am 
Actually I had thought 2nd choice was 1st choice before I found out results so I went back to see it and all I could think about was that I really wanted him to go to 2nd choice (now 1st choice) when I was there. :roll:

Current 2nd choice is seriously over-subscribed and the deadline is very fixed. It even said in the letter to tell them asap as there were other fantastic candidates who they could offer to - I don't dispute this for a second. Also 1st and 2nd don't like you applying to both (stupid if you ask me) so there is no sympathy on that front!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8112
Tipsy - will you be applying for bursaries (just wondered as you said you couldn't afford the multiple deposits) ?

If you are could you ask them for a reduced rate of deposit?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:44 am 
Whatever one we decide on we are planning to ask if we can pay the deposit in stages but I think it would be really cheeky to ask for a reduced deposit, pay it and then blow them out if he got into 1st choice. At the moment I am planning to accept 2nd or take, what I think, is a 25% risk and turn it down in the hope he'll get 1st choice. The question is, what should I do?! :?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm
Posts: 558
Location: Wales
Phone 1st choice and say "pleeeeeeese pleeeeeeeese hurry up and let us know". Crying a bit may help!

Sorry - I really don't know, you have a really hard decision there! What does DS want to do?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:49 am 
Done that! :oops: Can't go into why they cannot but it is fair. :cry:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:20 pm
Posts: 768
Oh dear! This shouldn't be allowed :( . In fact I'm sure HMC rules ban forced acceptances for in-year applications before national allocations day, so I'm presuming you're applying some years in advance (silly me, thinking about it at this time of year you must be), or you're being forced to decide about a scholarship or something. Still shouldn't be allowed though :( .
Looks to me like you've no choice but to accept No2. It doesn't really mean you can't still accept No1 when the offer comes in though, albeit the lost deposit will be galling :evil: .

_________________
Loopy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016