Insurance needed?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chardom

Insurance needed?

Post by chardom »

The indie where my DS is starting in September has sent an invoice for BUPA membership and accidental sports insurance which is automatically charged for unless you opt out. Does anyone know if this is worth having as I don't want to pay for any unnecessary extras. Am not being mean by the way, just cautious! :)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

This type of insurance is always worth having, no matter which school/club you belong to. Imagine, God forbid, that something happened, how would care costs be funded and possible adaptations to the home, etc, etc, etc.

That being said, you don't ned to have the school's recommended insurance, you can always seek out your own.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

We had this problem last year.

There were about 5/6 different things we could opt in/out of. I truly cannot remember what we decided now. I think we pay for Denplan (or whatever it's called) and we also pay towards a third world school, but we definitely chose to opt out of some. When I next see the latest bill, I'll let you know. Most things like this are only for a few pounds each term, but it soon mounts up...
chardom

Post by chardom »

Thanks Ed's mum that would be helpful. The cost is £70 for the term for these by the way which I thought seemed a bit expensive!
Flamenco

Re: Insurance needed?

Post by Flamenco »

chardom wrote:The indie where my DS is starting in September has sent an invoice for BUPA membership and accidental sports insurance which is automatically charged for unless you opt out. Does anyone know if this is worth having as I don't want to pay for any unnecessary extras. Am not being mean by the way, just cautious! :)
Just consider this for a moment. Had your son gone to a state school instead, would you take out a private care plan for him? It's quite safe to say at least 90% of state school parents would not bother. And that's a mighty lot of parents!

Indie schools are notorious for all these "unnecessary" extras. My DS attends one such school which btw is noted for its strong extra curriculum activities including some dangerous pursuits. Still, I don't bother. One cannot be too careful in life.

But there again, I do live dangerously. :P :x
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I opt out of everything however I have decided to opt into the insurance if your child is sick (get school fees back if they have been off 4 or more days) because swine flu is due to hit in the autumn.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I opt out of everything however I have decided to opt into the insurance if your child is sick (get school fees back if they have been off 4 or more days) because swine flu is due to hit in the autumn.
I would read the small print. Extreme cases such as epidemics may be excluded. However if not, that might be a good investment. :wink:
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yep - reckon they will exclude swine flu as epidemic has been declared.. like "acts of war" etc.... or "Force Majeure"

Lots of school have the sports / accident insurance - seems sensible but BUPA cover ???? whatever for???
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

*tuts* at Herman!!

Hermy, if you go to private school, you HAVE to have private insurance too for the private hospitals :lol: :lol: :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I know of two independents that refunded fees because kids had swine flu.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now