Cost of School Books?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chardom

Cost of School Books?

Post by chardom »

I have just noticed that my DS' s school fees from September only cover the cost of tuition and not things like his books. I am a novice at this and thought his exercise books would be included! Silly me!!!! Does anyone have an idea how much these might cost?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

All invoices now packed away but, from memory, we had to buy one core text book for each subject such as chemistry, physics, biology, geography, history, mathematics, english, german, french and latin. Each one cost at least £10. These lasted the whole year with maybe an exception for history. We also have had to buy 2/3 reading books. They give them out and the amount appears on the invoice. There is also a seperate charge each term for art materials used (usually about £10 I think).

The 'extras' are what really inflate the bill to be honest.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

"Fees include, in addition to the cost of tuition and a wide range of extra-curricular activities, almost all text books and materials, exercise books, examination fees (except re-sits), fieldwork trips, travel to sporting fixtures and travel and personal accident insurance."

If your indie doesn't include all of the above me wonders why?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Apart from maths, Ed does not even have any exercise books to write in. We provide A4 paper for his notes. More like college or uni in that way.

Can you imagine how hard it is for a 12 year old to keep his notes in any kind of order?? Impossible!
:mrgreen:
guest42

Post by guest42 »

At least you don't need to cover all of them!
zorro

Post by zorro »

We didn't have to buy any books in Y7 except an atlas which will last through his school career , but we do have to pay for field trips.
I personally think it's appalling to charge for text books on top of fees! :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Zorro

Know what you mean but reckon it is the schools way of having a low "headline" fee to attract people into signing up! ... all the rest comes as extras...

I am impressed by school who include everything up front even though the fees can appear higher initially. DC went to primary where everything was included (even the delivery of school milk which is free under the EU but the schools / parents have to pay for delivery) but later had experience of school where far more was "extra"
chardom

Post by chardom »

DS has started in Year 7 today and has already come home with 4 text books which he tells me has signed for and the cost will be on my account at the end of term. I am quaking in my shoes already at the thought of the next bill dropping through my letter box :!:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now