So who's starting new schools this week ?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Don't worry, he didn't get the 'advice' he was after...but I still feel for him!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

PB Mum wrote:Don't worry, he didn't get the 'advice' he was after...but I still feel for him!
Good for you, it's really hard not to protect them which is why I don't want to be accessible because I would get all worked up and stressed and 5 mins later DC would be fine! I bet he has had a good afternoon and I suspect he probably had a falling out with a pupil rather than hates the school. Maybe the girls fancy him and are being mean! :wink:
Milla

Post by Milla »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: Good for you, it's really hard not to protect them which is why I don't want to be accessible because I would get all worked up and stressed and 5 mins later DC would be fine! :wink:
I think that's the main thing (along with wise words about sink or swim, get on with it etc). They dump the dirty laundry of their temporary angst on us, we fret like mad things, eat too much consolatory chocolate, pop a calming bottle of wine in the fridge for later and, at collection time, they give you a vaguely patronising look of Chill, Mum, it's all sorted.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Tipsy,
While not disagreeing with one word of the general point you are making, it’s worth bearing in mind that there are nevertheless some perfectly valid reasons for children to have phones with them at all times and to need to contact a parent on a regular basis at lunchtime…

Just food for thought :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I was being very general Rob and of course anyone with circumstances similar to those of your family would be an exception for a mobile being necessary during school hours. :)
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

At least he was cross, not tearful, when I collected him...As predicted...got lost, no space next to friend for lunch, can't see why 'control' should be part of the life processes in Biology (philosophy on your first day....no comments, please)...and despite my saying 'phone for emergencies only' I've forgiven him this morning's quickie: 'better day already!'
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Oh good, glad it was nothing worse than the predictions.Nice lie in tomorrow. :D
My Dd was so excited last night I has to resort to warm milk at 10 o clock.(first day today) When I went in to rouse her this morning, I said,
"time to get up".
"Hoorraaay! ", she said and leapt out of bed.

Can't see that lasting really...... :lol: :lol:
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Great stuff, long may it last, CM...Saturday school tomorrow..;
chardom

Post by chardom »

My DS can't wait to get out of the door this week to get to school even though he has had 7 pieces of homework already since he started on Wednesday. I hope he still feels as enthusiastic at the end of Michaelmas term when the reality has really sunk in! :)
Freya

Post by Freya »

PB Mum - Glad it wasn't too bad in the end!

My DS had a very easy induction day, the highlight of which was the class visit to the sanatorium where they had to pee into a cup and have their peak flow breath test! they also tested his eyesight! Very thorough!

He said the IT teacher was so keen to get started she forgot to tell them her name (or was he just not paying attention?) and they all set up their school email addresses. The maths teacher is apparently very strict and told them that he never wants to see a 'C' grade in his class! The music teacher was "strange to the max" but funny. His house master apparently has no sense of humour (maybe just not the same as DS's sense of humour!).

Some of the children (I think coming from very small prep schools) were very put out that they had to walk about so much to different classrooms and thought this was "appalling". DS did complain that his feet hurt on the soles due to new (proper) shoes when he has lived his entire life in trainers!

DS said that lunch was "fab", portions were big and you could go back for 4ths if you wanted! Good news for a rugby boy!

After lunch they had games all afternoon and I picked him up early to go straight to club rugby practice (in the pouring rain).

Today he has his first proper school rugby session and is so looking forward to it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now