Move to midlands

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
solimum

Post by solimum »

In the other direction Warwick school is well regarded (a friend's son went there for sixth form) - easily accessible daily on the train from Solihull but also with boarding available.

Several of the state comprehensives in Solihull borough are very successful - but probably difficult to get a place as they are usually oversubscribed from within their catchments, and moving into the area you might not be lucky with a place becoming available in the correct year group

It is a good part of the world to live in though, never fear, with the City centre delights of Birmingham in one direction, the Warwickshire/ Stratford/ Cotswolds countryside in the other, only an hour away from Oxford/ Leicester/ the Malverns and good road/rail/air connections to the rest of the country. You can probably even fly back to Scotland for the weekend if you get homesick...!
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Mike, getting the first wrong or left blank might go in the candidate's favour....?!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

:lol: Quite possible, I had the impression that while they are classed as a comp :shock: :lol: and they follow the absolute letter of the Code they consider themselves effectively an indie that has to jump through some irritating LEA hoops. They're a bit of a law unto themselves, it was an "interesting" experience dealing with them during admissions last year, but I still like the place.

Mike
resmum

Post by resmum »

Mike,

Is your son at OSH? A couple of my son's ex-classmates have just started there, one as a day boy and the other as a boarder.

I have to say I love that bit on the website where the visitor asks a boy in the dining room where the clean plates are and the boy says "please have mine". Sadly I can't imagine my son doing that. He'd be too busy deciding whether to have one slice of pizza or two!

Resmum
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

No, ours is at Camp Hill. We were in a quandary with OSH - it would either have been the best thing that could happen to him or an absolute disaster and we weren't sure which it would be. There's no denying he's a geek, and in the end we decided CH was probably the best choice and OSH finished up as our last ditch choice - but OSH took up more time and effort than all the other choices put together.

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now