SATs Levels and Common Entrance Exam Standard

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ealingmum

SATs Levels and Common Entrance Exam Standard

Post by ealingmum »

I know CE exam standards differ between schools but what sort of SATs levels should a child be attaining at the end of Year 5 to be on course to pass CE exams in the following January.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't know much about 11+ CE but it really depends on the school's CE pass mark but also at 13+ CE there is much covered that has not yet been covered by some state schools - either the difficulty is greater or the curriculum is different in some subjects.

Assuming you live in London most schools would be expecting high SAT scores as the schools are generally selective in London. If DC has been at a state primary though the inde's are often more lenient than if they had been at a prep school.

iseb.co.uk may offer more guidance. Although it states that it follows the Key Stage curriculum ther are definitely questions beyond it.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,
Know little about indep entrance but grammar school head at talk once said good level 5s at the end of year 5 are a good indication that a child is of potentially selectable standard.I would imagine that the better indep schools would require at least this standard.
I believe some Indep include elements of subjects e.g languages that won't have been covered in state primary.However are willing to make allowances if coming from a state school as long as the other key subjects are up to scratch.Correct me if this is wrong Tipsy.

Have you decided to go down the indep route Ealingmum or are you just covering all bases?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Depends on the school; I think there is good evidence that its easier to get into even the super selective schools than requiring level 5s in year 5.

Level 4s and predicted 5s for Yr6 seems more realistic.

I have only a small sample to deduce this from. :lol:

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think there is good evidence that its easier to get into even the super selective schools than requiring level 5s in year 5.
Is this the same for GS entry too then as the super selectives are more selective than the GS and I thought you would have needed the above to get into GS?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Can someone explain to me what a super selective school is ?
Thanks
LFH
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think part of the problem is that there is a lack of consistency in Level 5 SATS from school to school. Some schools choose not to do optional Y5 SATS and use teacher assessment alone, in my DDs primary test results are routinely 1 to 2 sublevels above teacher assessment, so many children are assessed at being Level 4, when their test performance is higher than that.
mad?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Taking the top X %, whatever that may be, and I only know the super selectives are more selective than GS because the MIDYIS reports say they are - it does not mean they are any better/worse. Some GS are also known as super selective because they take the top 100 scores and do not have a pass mark or catchment.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks Tipsy :lol:
I agree you would be wanting your child to achieve level 5 in year 5 to be of a level required to gain entry to super selective schools. My son was doing that and failed entry to common or garden GS :shock: Still trying to come to terms with that one :roll: but getting there :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

How is he getting on at his new school and will you consider 12+ entry if there is one?