Swine Flu

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hopeforthebest

Swine Flu

Post by hopeforthebest »

oo
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Prior Park got it quite badly last term. The headmaster decided not to close the school, partly because of public exams but also because of the practical difficulties in closing a boarding school. I think he also thought it was no worse than a normal outbreak of winter flu.

I haven't heard any reports from anywhere this term, maybe the media have lost interest?

I've no idea about insurance.
Loopy
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Fair bit of swine flu - or at least flu like illness - about judging by the number of boxes of Tamiflu going out. Mostly youngsters so likely several schools have cases.
Thea

Post by Thea »

My son mentioned in passing that lots of children were off school yesterday so tehy couldn't have a particular test - he saw this as unalloyed good news :D ... he did not ask why - no-one has sadi anything to us, but i am wondering...!
Best Regards,
Thea
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Lots of vomiting and fever at my sons school but only heard that through my son too. DS is severly asthmatic so I will be annoyed if it's SF and they didn't inform us as asthmatics are in the at risk group.

As for school fees we have been told that we are insured if they are off for 4+ days.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Lots of vomiting and fever at my sons school but only heard that through my son too. DS is severly asthmatic so I will be annoyed if it's SF and they didn't inform us as asthmatics are in the at risk group.

As for school fees we have been told that we are insured if they are off for 4+ days.
Everyone under 60 is at risk TIPSY!!! - makes no odds whether you know it is H1N1 or not... just seen lad from a school where "lots" staretd with illness yesterday.... tenatively checked ... not DS's school.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I meant at risk from serious complications and it being life-threatening more than most. I have seen literature which states that asthmatics are in the high risk category of becoming very ill if they contract this which is why they will be offered the vaccine first.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

But are people really going to have this rushed through, not fully tested vaccine? My daughter has asthma and I still don't think I will be allowing her to have this one. :!:
LFH
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

There is no way my son is getting it as I don't vaccinate my kids so why start now with one that's had limited testing. How realistic is it that pregnant women would take it too? I am worried though because of his asthma! :(
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm at a loss to understand why they will rush through the vaccination - I heard yesterday that parents of babies were being asked if they would mind allowing their babies to be tested upon :shock:
I understand that it is a terrible disease for some high risk groups but surely it is better to make sure the vaccine is safe before allowing it to be used on the general population?
My daughter won't have the jab, but her syptoms are fairly mild, usually only obvious during the spring and summer months when the pollen count is high, so hopefully she should be ok, but it is still a worry :cry:
LFH