How to afford it

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The problem for most first time buyers is that they never factor in planning for school fees or buying a house in a great catchment area. It's once you have your children you realise (usually a year before they start) whether your street is in the catchment for the worst performing school. Is it worth remortgaging your house? It depends on the circumstances but on the whole I would rather make that choice than be constantly stressed and worried about my kids happiness.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Also depends if there is any equity in the house!

We spent 12 years in negative equity, finally saving enough to pay it off to move because although the used condoms in the garden were gross, the attempted murder of a drunk pub goer and resulting blood all over front door and garden were the last straw!

Moved to different area but mortgaged to hilt and now have no equity. Didn't want to rent as had rented before, properties were awful and landlords just plain nasty.

Savings gone, deaths of my dad, step father and sister mean I have inherited my mother who has dementia. My OH supports me, three children, my mother and his parents. Thanks love. :lol:

My neighbour inherited £60,000 from her grandparents and is now mortgage free at 34.

All we've inherited is my mum, £100, a silk cravat,a t shirt and a cakestand!

Hence my sprogs at state school. Oh, the great plans we had and then life comes along!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Poor inky! :(

The only thing we'll be inheriting - if we don't pop our clogs first - will be any debt our families have left behind! :shock:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh Inky, that is awful! Keep smiling if you can.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Thanks T.i.p.s.y. and Ed's Mum.

My friend's motto is " Life's a b i t c h and then you die."

Mine came from my dying sister- "Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and the shadows will fall behind you."

I think I'll stick with mine, though it's cloudy today, I'm hoping for a lovely sunny autumnal day tomorrow. My children are happy
and healthy and that's worth a fortune to me.

inky x

P.S. although the inherited t-shirt has never fitted, the cakestand comes in handy at Christmas! :D

P.P.S. Will return to main forum, apologies for sticking nose in here!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm feeling very sad but incredibly blessed after your last post inky. Come back anythime. :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:( I feel quite weepy now.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

I feel so upset for you. Life is like a house of cards. :(
Milla

Post by Milla »

Blimey, Inky, you've been through it, you poor poppet, yet you sound so buoyant. If it's any consolation, my father (long story, left school at 12, 3/4 blind etc) ended up supporting endless people, akin to a circus man having more and more tumblers tossed onto his shoulders and he just carried on shouldering it. Made him the star he is. Something'll give in the great cosmos and the sun will shine on you!
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Awww, thanks guys, I've got a tear or two in my eyes reading your replies.

And Milla, what a super Dad you have, I love the analogy of the circus strongman! What a real star.

inky x