Christ' Hospital Exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

All the best now for a positive result. Keep us posted.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hope it all goes well. Do you know how many sat this year? Seems to be growing year on year.
CHmum

Post by CHmum »

I've been told it's approximately 600, but not sure of the exact number. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your DD, 2010 mum :D
dinah

Post by dinah »

I thought 600 too but an OB told me today it was nearer 700. That could be the rumour mill- like Topsy it growed and growed but I guess that the economic climate will have had an effect. CH also had its best results ever this year so maybe that added a few on.
CHmum

Post by CHmum »

Well I was going to say in excess of 600 because I'd heard it was well over 600. And yes, excellent results again this year :D
dinah

Post by dinah »

The sibling rule doesn't apply to academic places at CH . Twins have been separated in the past ie. one twin was deemed academic enough and the other not . It may apply( I don't know for sure) to places awarded in a different way ie. home circumstances such as a low income but the sibling would still have to achieve a mimimum standard which is still high and would have to offer music or sport or similar.The initial assessments are quite brutal in that you are either in or out. There is a first past the post rule ,I believe ,and circumstances suich as income only come into play for the second round.
2010 mum

Post by 2010 mum »

dinah wrote:The initial assessments are quite brutal in that you are either in or out. There is a first past the post rule ,I believe ,and circumstances suich as income only come into play for the second round.
Hello everyone, sorry i have not been able to log on earlier. Logged on this morning to find huge response, my eyes filled with emotional tears.

Dinah, could you pls shed some more light on the quote above for me. Are the initial assessments much harder than the second phase? Thanks.

Now, back to saturday. We were told on saturday by CH rep that the number of candidated registered to sit the exam (both venues) are a total of 546/549, but some candidate dropped out at the last minute, so it is expected that the final figure would be estimated at 520/540. He also said that parents should expect their results by friday the 27th Nov, if for some reason by lunch time you have not received yours then you need to call CH.

For the January assessment, 240/300 candidates will be called back for this session on which the final selection will now be made. I am sure that that is it and i have not missed anything out.
Thanks... 2010mum
dinah

Post by dinah »

I do so hope everything goes well for you. It just shows you, not believe anything unless you get it from the horses mouth- the rumours about the numbers were clearly exaggerated!
The initial exam is definitely English and Maths only. The Maths is what you would expect from a year 6 curriculum. I believe that you have to be in the rank order of 240 to 300 to qualify for the next round so in that sense it is harder as no other circumstances will be taken onto account at this stage. I could well be wrong about this and if it is important to you to know then ring the admissions office and they might tell you for sure.
The English paprer is vacabulary based and so you can't coach for it and there are no sample papers for this. The papers on the website are for the January assessment and have remained the same for 4 years at least!
Did you go to the London venue or the school?
2010 mum

Post by 2010 mum »

Thanks Dinah, your ranking order analysis make sense to me. Surely they would only go in that order except for those with representation. I suspect that the scores will be high this year if we have to go by what is happening with other 11+ scores (ie bexley & kent).

DD took her papers in London. She said that it was okay. I will have to see what the results are. I noticed a few girls saying it was easy. DD said some kids with special needs were given a bit more time, i suppose that is fair I told her, which she agrees.
Thanks... 2010mum
dinah

Post by dinah »

Those with Presentations still have to be in the first ranked number in the first round. If they don't get into that list the Presentation will be withdrawn. So, in that way only the top 250 or whatever number it is, go through to the second round. Then the other circumstances come into play.I think that's right but to be sure the school do prefer if you ask them . They welcome questions as it saves a lot of misunderstanding . What I am telling you only comes from hearsay and experience but I wouldn't like to say it was the whole story for sure.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now