St Benedict's Catholic, Ealing

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Just a few comments.

The Schoolsnet reviews are a bit alarming but most schools on the site have few if any reviews so I would be careful to take these 2 reviews in itself as typical of the general view of the school (i.e.it's not statistically significant)

Many co-ed schools run with a surplus of boys. There is a powerful lobby (based either of scientific evidence or vested self-interest depending on your view) in the girls-only school movement. Quite often co-ed schools are competing against all-girl schools but not all-boy.

As a parent with a DD at school where she was in the first co-ed year and is in a substantial minority, whilst the disadvantages might be obvious here are the advantages

1-everyone knows who she is
2-she (and all the other girls) is popular
3-no bitchiness (the girls stick together and the boys won't allow one to be picked on-What a refreshing change from all-girls prep!)
4-girls' sport is treated very seriously-in line with the boys' and NOT as at the all-girls school. I like this because it means she will not end her teenage years with a behind the size of a bus
5-she has been actively involved and consulted since the start in the co-ed of the school i.e. selection of uniform, design of changing rooms
mad?

Post by mad? »

guest43 wrote:Just a few comments.

The Schoolsnet reviews are a bit alarming but most schools on the site have few if any reviews so I would be careful to take these 2 reviews in itself as typical of the general view of the school (i.e.it's not statistically significant)

Many co-ed schools run with a surplus of boys. There is a powerful lobby (based either of scientific evidence or vested self-interest depending on your view) in the girls-only school movement. Quite often co-ed schools are competing against all-girl schools but not all-boy.

As a parent with a DD at school where she was in the first co-ed year and is in a substantial minority, whilst the disadvantages might be obvious here are the advantages

3-no bitchiness (the girls stick together and the boys won't allow one to be picked on-What a refreshing change from all-girls prep!)
4-girls' sport is treated very seriously-in line with the boys' and NOT as at the all-girls school. I like this because it means she will not end her teenage years with a behind the size of a bus
5-she has been actively involved and consulted since the start in the co-ed of the school i.e. selection of uniform, design of changing rooms
Guest 43 what great input thanks.
mad?
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

guest43 wrote: As a parent with a DD at school where she was in the first co-ed year and is in a substantial minority, whilst the disadvantages might be obvious here are the advantages

Totally agree. My own secondary school was exactly like this: 6 girls and 24 boys. It was fantastic (for girls) :)
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

You mentioned that the GCSE results being comparable to the local comprehensive. How similar are they?

Have you met the teachers, on open days, what do you think of them? Have you seen examples of the children's work?

Personally, I wouldnt pay for a school that wasnt achieving good results.
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

hopeful5 wrote:You mentioned that the GCSE results being comparable to the local comprehensive. How similar are they?
They have good GCSE results but not good enough for selective school.
I always look at GCSE %A*/A.

St Benedict's GCSE %A*/A 46% (2009)
Langley Grammar GCSE %A*/A 55% (2009)
Drayton Manor High (local comp) GCSE %A*/A 33% (2008)

Although their A-levels results are excellent.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

St Benedict's isn't as selective as the GS so they shouldn't receive anywhere near the GS results so they seem to be doing OK. Selection is also based on religion so Catholic schools often take a much lower ability intake and considering all the highly selective schools in the area - MTS, St Paul's, Latymer, Westminster, Slough GS's - I think they do OK.

QUOTE FROM INSPECTION REPORT
and no more than half would have been likely to reach the standard for admission to maintained selective schools.
Personally, I wouldnt pay for a school that wasnt achieving good results.
Don't completely agree with this although I know what you meant. If you have a choice of a comp where there is a lot of crime and violence or an inde which has excellent pastoral care but is pretty weak academically I would still choose the inde if they were the only two choices.
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: Don't completely agree with this although I know what you meant. If you have a choice of a comp where there is a lot of crime and violence or an inde which has excellent pastoral care but is pretty weak academically I would still choose the inde if they were the only two choices.
T.i.p.s.y

Sorry for off-top....what do you think of this school: Ealing College Upper School http://www.ecus.org.uk/ ?
GCSE % A*-C 67%
Is it worth as back up plan?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't want to offend anyone but I really do not rate this school at all! If you are looking for an independent school then this does not feel like one and it is usually the last choice if you can't get your kid in anywhere else. I would definitely choose St B's over Ealing College and try to find an alternative school before EC.

What are you looking for in a school, how far are you prepared to travel and can you consider weekly boarding? Is DC GS material because you could send to a weekly boardin GS which would cost less than an independent school?
marigold

Post by marigold »

Golly, I lived in Ealing for 15 years and I have never heard of this school. I looked up your link and can see why!

I know of a family with more children than they have in year 11.
Also, where are the A level results?
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I don't want to offend anyone but I really do not rate this school at all! If you are looking for an independent school then this does not feel like one and it is usually the last choice if you can't get your kid in anywhere else. I would definitely choose St B's over Ealing College and try to find an alternative school before EC.
Thank you very much T.i.p.s.y. !

The last choice if can't get in anywhere else.
I see.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now