Applying for academic scholarship at present school ( 13+ )

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thanks, good luck to your daughter too.
What year is she in and would she be moving schools?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Zorro I think that is great. I am sure the school would not suggest it unless he was in with a good chance as the lat things they need is a child and family whose expectations have been raised in false hope. In terms of master Zorro, suggest you manage it in the way of it being a complement that they want him to sit it (and I agree he should keep it to himself at this stage) and that you are delighted with his progress. That it is irrelevant whether he gets the scholarship (Ha! as if!) and that you think all is wonderful etc etc and 'OH by the way you're not getting a new 'phone' :lol:
mad?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Believe me, he would be more upset at not getting the phone! :shock:
Freya

Post by Freya »

Awwwww what a meany you are mad? Let the boy have his new phone as a reward!

Yeah yeah, I'm a right softy! :oops:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have heard of children being awarded Honorary scholarships if they do well whilst at the school but were not offered an official scholarship when first applying. If DS does not win a financial scholarship they may give him an honorary one. Does being a scholar offer anymore benefit than purely financial? I believe at some schools the scholars have an enrichment program.
Milla

Post by Milla »

when I was at private school, many moons ago, I only got in on the waiting list (that I had taken my paper home from the exam because I didn't like the invigilator may have had something to do with it :oops: ) so, I started feeling a bit also-ran-ish. However by the end of that year, I was one of only 2 children (boast boast) within the year group invited to sit for the scholarship. I didn't get it, in the end, it went to one of the outside candidates who joined the next academic year but I still feel a (sad) thrill from having been approached.

What I'm saying is that there's still a great deal of pride to be drawn from having got to that stage, an outside verification of how very well he's done, so if he doesn't get it, it doesn't mean he needn't feel good about it all. As others have said, you can't win everything, and not winning isn't the end of the world.
But if he does, fantastic.
zorro

Post by zorro »

We didn't enter him for the scholarship exam when he first started as we didn't know he was able enough :roll: . But as they have new pupils in at 13+ from prep schools presumably- he has a chance now.
Plus he has a year's worth of effort and achievement grades , also 2 sets of exam results from Y7 as proof of his track record which will surely help.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

but I still feel a (sad) thrill from having been approached
Milla, you have the strangest of effects on me. :shock: I think in every one of your posts that I have read so far there is always at least one comment that makes me giggle! :wink: :lol:
Milla

Post by Milla »

it can only be because of some voyeuristic kick at someone out there being so pathetic!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Milla wrote:it can only be because of some voyeuristic kick at someone out there being so pathetic!
Not sure if that's a compliment! :? :lol:

SORRY ZORRO, back on topic!

What a shame you never realised how bright he was but it does show that the selection process at the GS is not to be trusted. Any scholar at a decent independent school should get into GS. Did it knock his confidence when he got didn't get into GS? If not then he may well be fine if he doesn't get a scholarship.

I think they must think very highly of DS because why bother to put a current pupil forward when they think a parent is happily paying fees when they could be getting other good kids from outside?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now