Indie school going co-ed from being all girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
One Down

Post by One Down »

Beechwood Sacred Heart in Tunbridge Wells has recently started taking boys as well - I think this might be the second year of boys so I think there are yr 7 and 8 boys and some in a year further up the school? I don't know any details but might be worth investigating as they are a couple of years in.

On a different note, having been in the first year of two merged schools, I wouldn't recommend it as that year tend to be guinea pigs-'oh, that didn't work well for them so we'd better do something better for the next year'-for seven years!
another mother

Post by another mother »

Amused by your comment guest 43 about girls joining to play sport twice as often! What sport did you have in mind?! I don't think 'organised team games' are the attraction! mind you we are looking at sixth forms.

more seriously I think the first years of a change either way are tricky and it isn't great being in the minority. Both DDs were hugely outnumbered by boys in their years at primary - both have much preferred all girls, certainly till now. Looking round boys schools who take girls in the sixth, those who have been doing it longer are certainly more in the swing of it, even down to the number of loos around!
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Another mother-The point I was trying to make is when my DD co-ed went from all-boys to co-ed virtually the whole of the neighbouring girls' school lacrosse team defected. The primary reason was the fact that sport is treated seriously here..Given that there is only 1 evening a week where my DD kit is not washed I can vouch for that being the case!

What I am trying to say in guarded words is that girls who thrive in former all-boys schools tend to be the assertive, confident, active ones. One can speculate about the type of boys who would flourish in an former all girls environment!
KB

Post by KB »

Agree with Guest 43.
DD went to co-ed indie that at that stage was still male dominated (in numbers anyway!)
Girls who chose it tended to fit that profile at year 6 (developed into fairly mixed bunch by year 11)
Only 24 girls in DD's year but outstanding hockey & netball teams due to coaching & time given to games.
One disadvantage re facilities was no cookery lessons!
Since girls tend to mature more quickly than boys they didn't have any problems being dominated by boys early on & think it has made them more confident in dealing with males as they got older (not deferring to them etc). I can see that a small number of boys in a girls' school could easily be dominated by the girls though & actually in the early years find it quite hard.
guest43

re cookery

Post by guest43 »

For a number of years while DD school was all boys there was an opportunity for boys to go to a cookery club at a nearby all girls school. Since the school has gone co-ed the cookery club is still active but none of the new girls have chosen to join!
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

It's happening to this school:

www.st-josephs.reading.sch.uk/index.php?id.../coed...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now