What might my daughter (age 4)/me be asked at interview?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairydust2010

What might my daughter (age 4)/me be asked at interview?

Post by fairydust2010 »

This is a question about reception class entry but I have n't been able to find any website which might be able to help so thought I would ask the gurus on here as you all seem very knowledgeable.

My daughter (nearly 4) has managed to get 2 second stage interviews at 2 good London private schools for the reception class. On the basis I was clueless about the playgroup assessment stage (the first stage) and was aghast to hear that some of the children were "prepped" for this I am delighted she has got to stage 2.

We are going back for 2 45 minute interviews (one at each school). I have no information about what this will entail and was wondering if anyone had been through this process and could suggest:

1. What my daughter might be asked to do or asked about?

2. What I might be asked about?

I am also to have the opportunity to ask anything I would like. This seems very much like a job interview when one is supposed to use the questions to "shine". I have read the schools prospectus and both schools are excellent. I really don't have much further to ask. I would be over the moon if she was offered a place and I just don't want to mess it up for her.

Also she has no uniform at her nursery so has to go in normal clothes and hope this wont be an issue.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts on this. Thank you very much
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Firstly, she has probably done so well thus far because she has not been prepped. Please try not to prep her as any answers will come across monosolabic if she is trying to recall what you told her to say.

If you are asked why you have picked the school I would act pretty niave about the whole process. If they think they are getting a parent who doesn't know the ropes then that parent is less likely to complain about any issues - perfect in their eyes. Tell them you like their school because out of all the ones you've seen they really seem to nurture the children.

You may be asked what senior school you're interested in (if school finishes at 11 or 13+) and you can drop in that you are unsure but this is another reason you have chosen this school as they get kids into a wide range of schools which makes you feel confident that the school will offer the right advice later on. Might want to drop in that a Relative has kids are at a named Public School (I don't endorse fibbing, but...) and you are interested in keeping it in mind; leavers lists are important to schools and if half the job is done before a kid enters then that's a big bonus. The balance is to say the right things which pander to their ego without sounding a suck-up or desperate! :lol:

To be honest, you are on trial not DC - she has pretty much already passed! Good luck and let us know how it went. :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Splendid answer Tipsy!!!

I agree entirely. It is completely hit and miss as to whether you can get anything predictable out of a 4 year old and any school you might want to send your child to should realise this.

They will be more interested in you. Tipsy is right - go for the nurturing qualities of the school, also broad curriculum / opportunities for extra curriculat stuff etc all go down well - but don't be too knowledgeable.

Could also try the laid back line of assuming that the school will offer a place! After all it is as much about you chosing the as them chosing you.
moved

Post by moved »

You could also go for the "what can you offer my child" line - they must be interested in your child or they wouldn't have asked you back - so what can they do for her.

You have to choose between two good schools and will also be giving them the fees so make them do some selling to you.
sj355

Re: What might my daughter (age 4)/me be asked at interview?

Post by sj355 »

My daughter (nearly 4) has managed to get 2 second stage interviews at 2 good London private schools for the reception class. On the basis I was clueless about the playgroup assessment stage (the first stage) and was aghast to hear that some of the children were "prepped" for this I am delighted she has got to stage 2.
I am speecheless. Is this good old England or the twilight zone? :shock:

Any way good luck. Judging from the process she (or rather YOU?) will need it! Avoid taking this too seriously because it sounds and it is hysterical :lol:
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

SJ355,

I have a friend whose daughter is 10 months old and in a year she will have her interview to go to the nursery at HABS girls. Let's hope she can talk by then! :shock:

Not good old England but good old London when it comes to independent schools! :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

LOL!!! 22 months ... might be nicely into the biting stage +/- the terrible 2's!! :twisted:

London really has to get over it - everywhere else in the country manages without such hype and gets v good results in the end (well Yorkshire anyway!!!) ... and its not that I am a chuntering grumpy yorkshire monster - I lived in London for 7 years
mystery

Post by mystery »

Tipsy's answer sounds great; and it surely must be the parents that are being vetted really. They will know from pre-school whether that they are taking on a child with ability and no current behaviour problems.

I'm very relieved not to have taken my young DCs to an interview yet. The outcome would be highly unpredictable, and only at best amusing. Good luck.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I know what you mean Herm. Kids are coached to death in hot house environments and then get extra tutoring at home on top. The results are often no different to schools outside London and the Oxbridge rate (which many parents use as the markof a good school) is certainly not as good as it should be considering the selectivity of the schools and extra coaching the kids get. There are a few havens in the London school system however but there are not many!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed mystery - I deliberately chose early schools who did not want to see the child!

I had leg-clingers who would not have said a word to a stranger - despite day nursery etc - they just took a long time to warm up!

Tipsy - glad I left London!!! actually it was great for a while :wink: but better off outside London with kids.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now