Night before exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plusmum99

Night before exam

Post by 11plusmum99 »

Just wanted to know what the best practice is just before the exam. Give DS an evening off, no work, or slight revison?

Experienced 11+ Mums and Dads, advice please.

Thanks

11plusmum99
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Can only say what I did with my two....
Night off, early ish night and plenty of reassurance/ confidence boosting talk.Early start with favourite breakfast and some kind of treat afterwards.

Very best wishes to you and your son. :D
another mother

Post by another mother »

I've said this before but a favourite chocolate bar in between exams is also good!
And don't have too early a night or they don't sleep - a bit of 'crap' telly is always good in our house. If they haven't learnt it now, they won't tonight.

Good luck!!
sp

Post by sp »

Don't do what I did (by mistake I might add!) and let them watch anything too emotional. The night before DD's exam for our first choice school we watched the last episode of the Anne Frank series which had been on all the wwek. It was at a reasonable time so I thought it would be a good idea before bed. Oh no, sobbing daughter and Mum were not conducive to a good night's sleep! Result: one very tired DD and a crabby Mum arriving at the entrance exam both so nervous.....
But hurray, she passed any way so maybe there's a moral to this story, do what you like!!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Would agree no work!

Favourite dinner, DVD if nothing on telly and favourite breakfast.

I am afraid that contrary to all of Patricia's rules my lot always had pasta the night before as is favourite and despite attempting healthy porridge for first exam we gave up and had a fry up for all the rest as again made them very cheerful.

We also tried to arrange to go the exams with a friend so they were a bit giggly and happy so felt like a treat and took their minds off their nerves.

Good luck
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

But do not do what I did, once, and go with someone in his/her class who may be in his/her class but who is not truly a good mate - I did this once for the sake of convenience, to get a lift, and the other mother started rehearsing times tables and math shapes (this was for 7+ entry) in the car :shock: - my DD got totally freaked out and didn't get in. (She might well not have gotten in anyway but the other mother definitely did not help matters!)
11plusmum99

Night before exam

Post by 11plusmum99 »

Thanks to everyone that responded. Tips put into practice. Much apprecaited.

11plusmum99