King's School, Chester

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Suey12

King's School, Chester

Post by Suey12 »

Do you know anyone sitting the entrance exam next Friday (22nd)? My biggest query is how many places are available - they tell me around 105, but that includes all those moving from the Junior School. Does that mean there'll only be around 30 or so for new entrants? Even though they say not all the Junior School will move to Senior School, I don't believe that many will leave the school altogether. I wonder if the entrance exam is the same for everyone? I know that if my DS had been attending Junior School, and then failed to gain entrance to the Seniors, I would want to know what I had been spending my money on!

Any opinions gratefully received!
guest43

Post by guest43 »

I wouldn't have thought that many would not transfer from the Junior to Senior school.

The last inspection says "Nearly all pupils are successful in passing the senior school entrance examination"

A few may attempt a daily schlep to Wirral Grammar (but I would have thought the Girls' catchment area won't reach down that far-Boys' maybe). Those destined for Boarding School will probably be gone by now or hold out until 13. Those into girls only education will probably already be at Queen's.

Are you sure about the numbers in the Junior School? The inspection report quotes 223 in the Junior School in total which would equate on average to 56 per year and therefore more places available for newcomers?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is difficult to know how many will move to senior from the Junior prep, the school are likely to tell you that nearly all will.

Anything less would make the senior school look less attractive and they still do have to encourage people to take the exam and apply and you may reasonably query if not all the juniors wanted to move up.

Have come across schools saying this but actually some do move one elsewhere- parents opt to move house at that time, other may have decided they can afford Junior fees but not senior (may have thought they could 7 or 8 years before - but they have gone up a lot).

Paying junior fees is not just about getting the child into the senior school - if they don't get a place despite being at the junior prep the school may actually be doing them a favour as they may struggle ... or maybe the school can't tolerate the behaviour any longer :roll: :oops: - has been known.
zorro

Post by zorro »

My brother's son went to Junior School and has just gone up to Senior school. Apparently the exam was really, really easy. Almost all of his class went up apart from one or two who were moving out of the area.
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

Thanks all - very useful.

Hope my DS finds the exam really really easy too. Fingers crossed.

Will check out the actual figures - I looked at so many schools I may have got confused (has been known !!!!).

Sue
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Often useful to look at other local prep schools to see how many they had pass or go to Kings School (often listed in the prospectus) ... reckon it may well add to more than 30...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now