LEH interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
richmond

Post by richmond »

Hi kc & co - Well done to your DD.

From what I gather 4 girls from DD1's class were not given unconditional offers, and 5 from the other class. The rest of the girls have all known for some time that they have a place. Girls had to take the exam if going for a scholorship. My dd1 only went for Tiffins outside of LEH - about 9 girls in the 2 classes also went for Tiffins. A few girls applied to other schools, Guildford High, St Pauls, City of London etc. At the moment it looks like a good number with stay on and move to the Senior school. It is a super school in my opinion and I like the Head. However I was also impressed with Tiffins. It may not have anything like the facilities of LEH but a great atmosphere.

Richmond
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

Hi kc & co and Richmond. Well done to your DDs.

Glad to see I am not the only one hanging on until 2 March! It really is such a short time to make a decision that I suppose the school must know that Tiffin (the GS we are waiting on too) is rarely turned down.
My nightmare is DD making the waiting list... :shock:

Interested in your DDs impressions of Tiffin - mine has yet to be 'steered' as she much prefers LEH.
keepcalmandcarryon

Post by keepcalmandcarryon »

I have always found setting expectations difficult as they are all selective schools and so you do not have a choice, in effect, until you have got the offers. As my DD goes to a state school we did not really have an indication of her chances in getting in to any school although we did not ask. She did well in the Sutton mock and Nonsuch but she was not happy with how Tiffins went at all so since then we have concentrated on the private schools. Initially though as it was always about Tiffins this was hers and our first choice. As she is not musical or sporty (or not yet) we thought that LEH might not be the right school as I got the feeling you needed to excel at everything not just academically but they have chosen her?! My gut feeling is that KGS is the school for her but Surbiton is also great and has a sibling policy which may prove useful later...and then LEH is the best school academically with the best facilities and the circle of confusion begins again.....HELP! My DD is very sweet though and when I said Tiffins would be best as it doesnt cost £100k+ she just said OK.
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

keepcalmandcarryon wrote: My DD is very sweet though and when I said Tiffins would be best as it doesnt cost £100k+ she just said OK.

My DD was given the same message but clearly it wasn't enough! :lol: :lol:

I think when it comes down to it they are all good schools so we are each in a lucky position. My DD is a pretty rounded but gave up any pretence of playing a musical instrument many years ago and can barely catch a ball. What she really liked about LEH was the attitude of the girls and the opportunities to meet varied people and do different things. I can't really argue with that.

You seem to be in a strong position with a couple of offers on the table and I am sure you will make the right choice for your DD in any event :)
keepcalmandcarryon

I am sorry to say that is a relief supermummy - when my DD said she might be interested in learning lacrosse all I could think of was the trip to casualty. We were shown around LEH by a lovely girl but she said she wasnt musical and had 'only' done grade 5. I know that we are really lucky with our choices and really feel for people waiting for results or on waiting lists and so it is sometimes difficult to talk about a problem that isnt a bad problem at all. Good luck to everyone waiting and as many people have said here, with such supportive parents children will do well wherever they go.
London Supermum

Post by London Supermum »

Hello SuperMummy, keepcalmandcarryon -

I've just read this thread and wanted to let you know that my daughter has also been offered a place at LEH!! She is very keen on the school but we are also waiting to hear from one other school. Am I right in thinking that you returned the postcard to LEH stating that you wanted to wait for other schools before making a final decision? Just want to ensure I am doing the right thing :?
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

Hi London Supermum. Yes - we sent the postcard yesterday saying that we were waiting to hear from another school.

I take it you are waiting to hear from another indie or GS? Currently I'm trying to work out the logistics for 2/3 March and by my count there is a window of about 12 hours! :shock:
London Supermum

Hello supermummy - the other school is an Indie and we will hear on the 25th. It will be so stressful for you to have to decide in 12 hours - good luck for the 1st.
keepcalmandcarryon

Hi Supermums - yes I have returned the postcard saying we are waiting for other schools. In our case that is only Tiffins. Is LEH not your first choice London Supermum? I still cannot decide and it's now less than two weeks....
London Supermum

Dear keepcalmandcarryon - We have only heard from one of our choices so far; if DD isn't offered a place at her first choice, she will be very happy with LEH. It seems to be a wonderful school. Good luck with making the right decision for your DD.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now