Some really expensive schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Trouble is that the fees often go up beyind inflation. Over the 10 years I had kids in private primaries the termly fees went from 800 to 2100.

(hey ho those were the days, out in the sticks, small schools ... a while ago)

Bottom line is approx 250% increase in 10 years.

Some places outside London have massively expensive grounds and buildings to keep so will add to the higher fees. Places like Giggleswick, Oakham, Uppingham... lovely buildings and grounds .. take up large parts of the town and in the case of Gigg relatively small numbers of kids so fees ^^^^
another mother

Post by another mother »

Not quite sure where you are but the GDST schools (lots in south London I think but not sure if further south) have a central policy to keep the fees as low as possible - all I think still below £4000 a term. Great education (certainly in our experience) shabbier buildings maybe but of course many founded by rather wonderful women (like so many of the good girls schools) in the nineteenth century to redress the balance and give young women an education and the opportunity to achieve independence from husbands and fathers! A lot of girls' schools still carry this ethos - there are less frills but again they also have less in the way of endowments. Sadly this means often that they can't offer the same level of bursaries. Another factor in cheaper fees may be that I believe that the staff are paid less than in trad boys schools - seems very unfair, esp given the results. :?

I can't help feeling a lot of those doughty ladies would have approved of this site!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KEHS in Birmingham used to have several annual prizes named after such doughty women, one had the inscription

"as is the woman, so is the home. As is the home, so is the Nation".....

Good job I never won it !! Home is chaos....
atestingtime

Post by atestingtime »

As well as the ever increasing fees and this interesting thread about differences in cost what do you make of this little extract from DS3 Prep school PTA letter home.................

TREASURY
After having paid £1178 for sound equipment and £17939 for flood lights the fund is still £59,000 in credit as of the end of December - if anyone has any particular funding requests for the school please let ### know they are keen to hear your thoughts.

Give it to your local state school PTA is one that comes to my mind................
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now