Music Scholarship Whitgift

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kirsty&boys

Music Scholarship Whitgift

Post by kirsty&boys »

Hi, can anyone with experience or knowledge about music scholarship in whitgift please give me some insight; can DS choose his own favourite pieces to play? If a child is given 20% scholarship on music, does it mean its 20% off his music lesson too? I would appreciate any kind of information. Thanks.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I think it used to be that you got some free tuition if you got a music scholarship. There are separate leaflets about each of the scholarships. If you're not sure you could ask the admissions lady. Sorry don't know any more as we didn't sit music
nissi

Post by nissi »

I think there are 2 types of award for music at Whitgift- a music award which is free tuition on his chosen instrument(s) either at the school or with a private tutor and the scholarship which is for free instrument tuition as well as money off school fees up to a max of 50%.

If your Ds has been awarded a 20% music scholarship then I would imagine that means 20% off the school fees bill, plus free instrumental tuition.... Your Ds gets to choose his pieces for audition. :)
kirsty&boys

Post by kirsty&boys »

Thanks for both your replies. DS plays the piano... Nissi, thanks for letting me know he chooses the pieces... in that case, we best start thinking and preparing for it now. Tough year ahead us just to prepare for the exam! :?
nissi

Post by nissi »

If you need any further info, please let me know. My DS has just done the music auditions at 11 for both Whitgift and Trinity. Of course we haven't heard anything yet, but will keep you posted. :)

Have found this site invaluable as everyone is so supportive and now know I am not going crazy :oops: and that most parents feel the same....

Good luck with exam prep. It is a horribly stressful time for parents- the kids seem to take it all in their stride :!:
showme

Post by showme »

does your son also play an orchestral instrument? unless he is absolutely outstanding on the piano, I think kids playing orchestral instruments are generally more likely to get scholarships as they're more 'useful' in the school environment - double bass is always a good one!
kirsty&boys

Post by kirsty&boys »

Nissi, I've just PM-ed you.

DS only plays the piano and because he only plays 1 instrument, he will need to perform 2 pieces, which I am trying to help him to choose along with the piano teacher's support. I wouldn't say DS is outstanding but we got a year to work on his two pieces... (along with preparing for his 10+ entrance exam). He can only give his best shot... it's quite hard work...but who says it's easy.....! :cry:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

When we were looking at dd's possible indies last year one of the school's showcased a lone musician - a pianist - and the standard was beautiful, very haunting and atmospheric around the hall. They were more than just a little bit proud of her achievements!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Kirsty, what Grade is he and what age. If he is not outstanding on the piano then the odds of getting a music scholasrship are very slim because they expect two instruments. I only say this so you can prepare. I would suggest getting him started on the clarinet as my son picked it up immediately and I also know of a boy who got to Grade 6 in two years on this instrument as he was already a very strong pianist which must have helped. Other than that, an unusual instrumet is often sought after: oboe, double bass, bassoon, frech horn.
kirsty&boys

Post by kirsty&boys »

Tipsy, DS is Year 4 and on grade 3 piano, hope to sit for exam in summer then move on to Grade 4. He is going to do 10+ in January 2011 and by then, should be on Grade 4 piano.

If he takes a 2nd instrument, its unlikely he can get to a good level in a year's time....can he...? I am unfamiliar with other instrument as I, myself, grew up on piano alone... so the other equipments seem to be like an alien to me. Also, i doubt we can handle another stress of practising a 2nd instrument. It's already quite a battle with his piano/maths/english. I would be very happy with 20% music scholarship... but won't put all my hope in it. Thanks for being honest with me, I will be prepared he might not get it as expectation could bring disappointment. Therefore, I am also hoping he may get some kind of academic scholarship.... :shock:

2nd Music Scholarhip - Do they have choral scholarship in Whitgift/Trinity? He has quite a sweet angelic voice ( :?: ) and seems to be just using vocal without the battle of an instrument (!), I can consider putting him on choral lessons this year if they have such scholarship but would he need to be on any grade? He would be at the most Grade 1 if he takes up Choral lessons now... is that enough to even qualify for a choral scholarship? Should have thought of this last year! :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now