Taunton/ Exeter area Indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ginnie

Taunton/ Exeter area Indies

Post by Ginnie »

Following on from the Devon Colyton thread we are trying to find more information about independents in this area for my DD (not for this year). We are new to the Indie scene and area so don't have a "grapevine" to help.
So far we've visited:
Perrott Hill (with a view to 13+ Taunton/ Kings entry)
Queen's Taunton
Maynard (Exeter)

Also need to consider the other day schools in Exeter and schools in Taunton (all day/boarding). And there is Sherborne (getting rather pricey). Taunton is a little less travelling for us but the others are still within reach.

But they all seem good to me but I am finding it hard to differetiate. Maynard was probably my favourite so far , maybe as it's small. One concern I have is having a day child in a boarding school (as all the Taunton schools are): do they suffer for this?

I read Looyloulou's post but am now even more confused as all the Exeter schools are West of Colyton, are they not so good? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to name names on here. Thanks for any advice!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Maynard is a good school with a nice social mix of parents and very few overseas pupils, which I think is a bonus. I am not anti overseas pupils but some schools have a huge number just to fill places. Queen's day fees are larger because of the boarding element so you may get more value for money if you send DD to a day school, especially if you have no interest in boarding. At Maynard there is a high proportion that read Medicine, Sciene and Maths at university which is always a good sign in an all girls school IMO. But unless you live in the city it might be a nightmare getting into each day. :? Sherborne is a great school and has the added bonus of interaction with the boys school and I believe they do the IB and A'levels (don't quote me on that) but it is pricey.
Loopyloulou

Re: Taunton/ Exeter area Indies

Post by Loopyloulou »

Ginnie wrote:I read Looyloulou's post but am now even more confused
:D :D Really the only thing I have against Exeter School is the Leather lady. Don't get me started on that :evil: :evil: !

I don't know Maynard, but I do know the drive into Exeter at rush-hour is a nightmare! Strongly suggest you do a few dry runs yourself to test. It's interesting that Queens, Taunton and Wellington all have school buses from as far west as Exeter, but the Exeter schools buses only go as far east as Cullompton.

No problem at all for day pupils at Queens or Wellington, really they are mainly day schools with a boarding element. Only Kings has the "feel" of a traditional boarding school. Can never quite make my mind up about Taunton.

The Taunton/Wellington schoools all have their points - I'd better pm you some of the more interesting information :lol: . The "social" pecking order probably runs Kings, Taunton, Queens, Wellington. Wellington has an academically inclined Head, and is the only one to teach Ancient Greek (Queens has also dropped Latin) so will better suit a brighter child. Taunton and Wellington both have IGCSEs but only Taunton does IB. I know pupils and ex-pupils from all the schools and all are pleasant people.

I could wax lyrical for pages on the benefits of Sherborne - a lovely school - but enough to say you must bear in mind: (1) it is really about boarding, (2) it is about girls, (3) it is the wrong side of Yeovil.

Have heard good reports about Perrott Hill.

Chilton Cantelo seems to have become quite popular recently, but no 6th form.
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Now Loopy remember you are not pm'ing me when your pm Ginnie. Wouldn't want to give her the wrong idea! :shock: :wink:
nell

Post by nell »

Tipsy,

I am astonished at the breadth of your knowledge on schools- you are a mine of information!! :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yes, embarrassing, isn't it! :oops:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I'll copy you in Tipsy :wink:
Loopy
nell

Post by nell »

Embarrassing ?? Why? It's fantastic- have you ever thought of charging ?!! going freelance as an educational advisor? :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh my, don't give her ideas :wink: :wink:
Ginnie

Post by Ginnie »

Thanks for all your replies, it really isn't an easy decision is it? We will continue our research into the shortlist as we have a little while to make up our minds.

And Tipsy, no need to worry: Loopy sent me a very helpful but perfectly proper PM. Your reputations are intact :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now