Advice please (Tipsy?)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Post by Milla »

I'd agree, Zorro. I've recently learned this through someone on facebook, too. Whereas us day girls felt sorry for the boarders (! sorry!) the boarders had their own life we knew nothing about. It depends on the ratios. We co-existed within our own delusions and were happy enough. But, certainly at one of the big indies here in Chelters, I've heard that if you're not a boarder proper, you're all but one since life is structured to the time table of the boarders. Hence the day children get home at 7/7.30; there's matches and chapel and saturday school so they might as well be boarders, really. I've heard the sense of missing out on something in this particular school's case. Maybe depends on the child??
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Hector, assuming it 13+ entry you're thinking about, it's worth finding out if they do a separate entrance exam for those NOT at prep school / doing CE. My daughter sits the second part of hers on Monday (mummy-no-nails :wink: ) for a mixed day /boarding school, where she's applied as a day pupil. My son is already a day pupil there, and the boarding or otherwise doesn't seem to be an issue.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hector - at my DS's mixed day/boarding school at 11plus and 13plus they do the school's own entrance exam -NOT CE. At 13plus they do Maths, Science, English and French.
I think it depends on ratio of boarders/day pupils too. In my son's school it tends to be the older children who board and overseas students.
Hector

Post by Hector »

PB/Zorro, it is 11+ for 2010 entry we would be hoping for.Which is why I'm worried we're too late. :cry:
School web-site says if any room for new entrants, they do own exams for 12+ and 14+, with CE for 11+ and 13+. Also bursaries are only for entry in 11+and 13+years. :(
It's great to hear good things re boarding/day mix though, as we thought of it as a positive, but most we spoke to, seemed negative.
Tipsy, I've tried pm-ing you. Did you get it?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Hi there Hector.

One of the schools we applied to this year, for our daughter, has another round of exams once offers have been made in order to accomodate those who find themselves seeking a place there after allocation day - unsuccesful at GS tests maybe. It's definitely worth contacting schools to check. The only reason I found this out was when I thought my poorly daughter was going to miss the entrance exams.

EDIT: If you really are terrified on the 'phone, give me the number and I'll do it for you.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Ed'sMum,
Does that mean they weren't publicizing those dates, or are they really for those such as your DD (already registered but indisposed)? :?
Would you phone really? :oops: :oops:
Hector

Post by Hector »

I'm such a scaredy-cat :oops:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yes, I'll phone for you. Can you list any questions you want me to ask? PM me if you think there's anything specific I need to know that may not be suitable for posting on the forum. Will phone them tomorrow for you. I'll hang around for a little while for you to have a think.

I think that these exams were for anyone - not just those registered - it's a way of ensuring that spare places get filled. After all, some will reject a place in favour of another.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

You obviously missed my post Hector. I'll be logging out soon and won't be able to access this site until tomorrow evening. Sorry.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hector, got your PM. It's a really great school but generally quite over subscribed so I don't know if they'll be places left, but you can only try. Good luck and keep us posted! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now