Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:27 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:56 am
Posts: 12
Is anyone else waiting for CH assessment next weekend? I see that on the unofficial forum Mr Holdsworth the master in charge of exams says the results will not be out unitl week of March 8th. This is giving us a real headache, we have a very good offer from an indie but am unsure at this stage if they are prepared to wait that long for an answer, assuming of course we are succesful at CH. I though someone had told me that HMC rules state reulsts must be out by 1st March, National Results Day or something like that.

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 117
Location: surrey
We are in a similar position with DS.

I think CH might lose out on some candidates this year as a result unfortunately.

I like CH, but DS would rather go to one of the other indies and might be offered a scholarship there, though we are still waiting to hear on the 19th Feb. We have to accept scholarship place by the 3rd March.

Mr Holdsworth has offered to speak to the school on our behalf if needs be, but quite honestly, I don't know if I even want my DS to bother to go to the residential now ... :?

One would've thought that arrangemnets would have been made to expedite their processes, considering...... :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:56 am
Posts: 12
I do understand that they have been inconvenienced by the weather but I do wonder why they didn't hold it at the first CH exeat weekend of the term which would have avoided the rush. Still, it must be a nightmare for them. I haven't dared ask CH as it might look as if you are presupposing that you will be offered a place and perhaps they might take the view that you have a suitable place elsewhere the one at CH can go to somone else more 'needy'. The school we have been offered at are obviously keen to know and week of 8th March is well after the normal date for schools. Don't know what to do, understand your thoughts about not going to the residential, sure it will be great fun and actually I think my DS will prefer CH, but then what do you do if you have had to turn down a place elsewhere and then are not offered at CH.

I wonder how many who apply to CH also apply at other indpendent schools, only a very small number I imagine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 117
Location: surrey
I think all you can do is keep an open mind and perhaps contact this master at CH to speak to the school on your behalf.I have written to him, but will only ask him to intercede if we get a really good scholarship from our indie, which we might be in danger of loosing if we cannot repond in time. Of course we may not even get an offer talk less of a scholarship!! :(

My son says he does not want to board and would rather be a day pupil at our local indie. I am hoping the residential might change his mind though....
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am
Posts: 147
This might be a bit of a rubbish idea and maybe it would be considered unscrupulous but hey ho. Could you accept the place offered , go to the residential at CH see if you get a place /like it and then withdraw from the other if you do? All schools have waiting lists and there is a huge amount of horse tradiing that goes on after results come out and offers are made. Lots of children do lots of exams and may get several offers so all the lists that they are connected to will have to be adusted. It happens with grammars who offer places and then some candidates refuse and choose an Indie so the next ones along the list are offered places .
I have to agree that CH seems to be shooting itself in the foot a bit as parents are understandably anxious at this time and a bird in the hand etc might sway a lot of parents into make a decision without even going to the assessment-it is fun though!
I don't think you should be worried about contacting the school. They must understand that most parents with any sense have applied to a number of schools and as CH will not be offering untill after National Offers day they will have to expect prospective parents to ask questions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:19 pm 
Some inde's require a terms fees if you take the place and withdraw - even if you haven't started and give a full terms notice so read the small print. This is also the case if you have been given a full bursary, they still make you liable for a full terms full fee. There is also the loss of deposit but if you are on a full bursary then this may not count. If anyone has been offered a full bursary elsewhere and they are happy with the school then I think it would be best to accept it and give a child who potentially only has CH as their only option the opportunity to go there. I only suggest this if the deadline to respond is before CH offers.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am
Posts: 147
Oh dear, I hadn't thought of all that -so I was right , it was a rubbish idea!
I don't think there will be many childen who have CH as their only option as parents are too savvy these days but I do think CH may well lose out though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 117
Location: surrey
Hi dinah
Tipsy is right- the indies near us will require a full terms fees :(

We have done several schools. I will probably take DS for the assesment it is at the begining of half-term and hopefully will be fun. I should probably accept our local indie though..

Tipsy your advice is appreciated: DS has passed, both Wallington and Wilson's, though not with extremely high passes- letters say has good chance. they are 3 and 2 on our CAF list respectively. You know that we might be in line for Whitgift scholarship what to do? :? :? :? :? :?

Please feel free to respond too Dinah :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:05 pm 
Maybe, but some kids from the inner cities have no options. Still it would be difficult to turn down as it offers so much.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:11 pm 
A boy with lots of options. :D

Obviously, you have to do what is right for your son but if you have no preference then I would take the place that would then offer places up to others. So, probably the GS place as they inde places are available to others as it is not catchment based. But this advice is only based on if you have absolutely no preference. In saying that if I had a whopping scholarship/bursary from Whitgift I would find it hard to turn down. I also wouldn't force a child to board if there were other very good options available to them. I would force a child to board if the option was excellent boarding school v's inner city rough comp.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aubergines, mumumum, Trakka, WildWombat and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016