Leaving Home at 8 (Channel 4 tomorrow at 9 pm)...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

East lancs mumof4

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

Two years :shock: That's a bit harsh!
Twice a week Tipsy? Do you live near DS's school then? Or should I have said did you, since you are/have moved?
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I am sure this one will be shown in bad light as they are only 8years old. It wouldnt make exciting TV if its all good. I am pro boarding but 8 seems a little bit young unless there are circumstances like parents moving around etc

We shall see, cant wait.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The school is 60-70 miles away and I would drive down for matches each Wednesday and pick them up at the weekends. Not a chore as I don't work and with my driving it takes me 45 mins! :shock:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Mine were 7 when they started to board. The eldest boarded for a term and then we moved to the area and he became a day boy. He then boarded a year later and has loved it. The youngest boarded the last term of Yr2 :shock: because he begged and begged me. He has boarded for 2 years now but will be a day boy at DC because I don't want him to board. I imagine he will board again within a year because he just loves boarding as there is so much to do.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Tipsy April's mum reminded me of you :oops: in the field with a puppy and I remembered you and your new puppy. Is it some secret to copying???? LOL

It was a fairly balanced program but I felt April's mum made it hard for her DD to settle. All those tears in front of her DD, I felt like screaming saying behind closed doors woman. Surely if she has decided boarding was right then crying in front of your DD makes it like a sad exprience and I really think her emotions played a part in April taking longer to settle.

And Lotti's brother just so loved boarding. He was just full of energy and really is having a great time. I am sure that helped her sister settle quickly too.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

DD and I just watched it together. I think I had tears in my eyes for most of the programme (what a softie!) Daughter now loves the idea of boarding, although she was totally unable to do even one night sleepovers at her best friend's at the age of 8.

I thought it was probably a fairly unbiased account, although I did worry at the beginning that they were alluding to the child being too immature to board (with the one who thought the rocking horse had a real horse inside it!)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Still watching as OH insisted on watching Silent Witness so I'm +1ing. April's mum is making it a nightmare for her daughter to settle. Cardinal rule of boarding: Big it up and never look down or worried about the process AND never cry in front of your child! :?
hopeforthebest

Post by hopeforthebest »

I liked the program, it was an unbiased view I think.
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katel

Post by katel »

It's important to remember that it it perfectly possible for children to have a really good time doing something that is damaging and unhealthy for them.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Found the programme fascinating. Before watching the prgramme, my view was definteily 8 is too young. However, I can appreciate how the army families wanted to provide stability for their daughters.

Also, I must admit, I was initially a bit surprised by a male house teacher for new female boarders.

The range of activites etc made it look a fun place to be. Also surprised at how much contact parents did have with the children. My only experience of boarding school are Mallory Towers and St . Clares - a slightly different impression.

Overall, would I send my child at 8 to boarding school if I had the means? The answer is still a definitely NO but p'haps I can appreciate a little more why people do board, but p'haps it's better at a later age (when they become horrible moody teenagers!).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now