Interview techniques

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

DS was asked at one interview which period in history he'd most like to visit and why. One interview just seemed to consist of a chat about favourite football teams and matches they'd been to.

His tutor told him that if he really didn't know the answer to a question or didn't understand the question, it was far better to say he didn't understand/could they explain again than to pretend and flannel.

One school did ask him not only where else he had applied but what his order of preference was, which was a bit unfair. We had coached him to say that he liked all the schools and perhaps to mention a specific thing that he liked about that one - eg playing fields, drama facilities, closeness to home! Needless to say, when he was asked the question, he told the truth - which was that that school was not his first choice, but he still got an offer.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Hi marigold11

I think I have an inkling which school you are talking about. If I'm right, my DS had an interview there last year and was offered generous scholarship. In the end we went for another well known Indie in Wales. Are you looking at any others?

Advice in previous posts is spot on! I would say be careful when telling your DS to give good eye contact. Tell him it's ok to blink and ok to look away when pondering an answer. You may laugh but I told my DS to maintain eye contact and he took it quite literally, staring intensely into people's eyes and not blinking. He looked quite a strange child! Thankfully I managed to have a quick word before he went off with a member of staff by himself!

Good luck for the interview!

Feel free to PM if you want more info!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
moved

Post by moved »

Tell your son to be positive. It is better to say I like a challenge rather than I'm bored at primary school.
If he is coming under the local children scheme they will not expect prep school interview preparation and will just want to see that he is an intelligent little boy with something to offer the school.

My son was asked to discuss a maths problem (bowls of peanuts - this had been in the exam and he had got the answer correct, I think they were checking for ability rather than training), look at some abstract pictures and talk about them and to talk about his passions. He raved about France and skiing. He also had to take a book he was reading, read a passage from it and discuss the plot and characters.
marigold11

Post by marigold11 »

Thanks for all the very useful tips and support - it has been very beneficial. Doing the preparation and practice beforehand meant DS got the hang of how to answer questions and come up with reasons as well as demonstrating his good qualities (ie enthuasiasm to learn). Also it meant he was not so daunted by the experience of being interviewed and felt confident despite being very shy.

Interview went very well. As well as general questions about family, home, hobbies, school he was asked his favourite book, whether he reads factual books, favourite TV programme, why he likes puzzles (we said on the application form he likes puzzles), why he should be offered a scholarship, what was the best thing he has done in his life, what he wants to be when he grows up. Thanks to whoever mentioned that question earlier in the forum. Apparently he does know and he wants to be a pilot (silly mum for not knowing) . Fantastic! He was able to say his favourite subjects are maths and science and he felt they would be useful in this career and also he loves to travel (hopefully parents will benefit from discounted travel in the future, can't wait!) . Finally, he looked the interviewer in the eyes - but not too much!

Warden said he has done brilliantly in the tests and in the interview so fingers crossed! Thanks again and hopefully this thread will be useful to others.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now