SPGS or NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

We're faced with a similar decision (HBS v NLCS). We had pretty much ruled out HBS, largely on account of rumours of ghettoism when DAO was still in the mix, but then there was an anti-mixed, pro HBS, sentiment within the family and this was added to with a rejection (but plausible waiting list place) from DAO.

Reasons for NLCS:
+ More spirit, very empowering for girls
+ Easier transport
+ Being close to DW's workplace could be useful for after-school activities
+ Better biscuits
+ Quite good sports facilities, including a gym squad
- Pricey
- Rumours of poor pastoral care

Reasons for HBS:
+ Cheap!
+ We like Mr Blond, and feel he will lead the school well
+ We really liked the feel of the school and the teachers
- Asian sub-population of 75%(?) that is largely insular (rumour!)
- Poor sports facilities
- Rumours of poor pastoral care on account of lack of funding
- Transport from us is difficult
(I might revise this if I get time later on today)

DW still feels "gutted" to turn down HBS and I'm now thinking that some of our logic is based on secondhand data. I think I'm going to have to go and see HBS!
Mark Thyme

Post by Mark Thyme »

BarnetDad, I've heard the same about HBS. My wife and daughter came back with very strong impressions of the place yesterday, but still lean towards SPGS. Mr. Blond seems a very good thing by all accounts (he's ex NLCS, isn't he?). Our problems with HBS are:

Like state schools in general, it is said to be exam driven. Exams are a trivial issue at SPGS because the school knows the girls will all get A-stars in everything. The same had been true at daughter's primary school. They did SATS, but made no fuss and did them a year early because the girls all get top marks every year. NLCS seems a little more exam oriented than SPGS, but much less so than HBS, leaving the school luxury to focus on other things and to teach beyond the exam.

There is said to be quite a ghettoization at HBS. But this is also probably true of NLCS (we're told). At both schools, Jewish girls and Indian girls, who form very large minorities, are said to form fairly tight knit groups. We're told there's pressure to conform socially and intellectually at NLCS, SPGS is said to cater for real oddballs. On the other hand, SPGS is full of Wasps... By the way, if anyone knows better, please let me know. These are all hearsay.

The big plus for HBS is that it is full of bright but normal girls from normal families, who don't all have second/third homes, don't live in mansions, don't take luxuries for granted, making social life a bit less competitive in some respects for both children and parents.

Good luck.
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

What a lot of FLAs!

Will check the mini-ghetto @ NLCS theory with some parents we know.
Mark Thyme

Post by Mark Thyme »

What are FLAs? I can only think ".... lame arguments". As they probably are. True, these deliberations we're having at home aren't entirely rational. And it's all but impossible to keep a sense of proportion. But you have to justify yourself to yourself somehow.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Four letter acronyms?
mad?
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

mad is right - I'm not that rude!
Mark Thyme

Post by Mark Thyme »

Looks like its SPGS. Went round Henrietta Barnett. I liked it. The girls were charming and it seemed a lively place. But it just didn't quite press the buttons. I guess St Paul's makes the most of that £15,000.
mm3

Post by mm3 »

Congratulations on deciding. Your daughter will have a lovely time, and a remarkable education.
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Congratulations on deciding indeed. I think once we've finally made our final decision, we'll feel as though we'd been through at least a tough a process as the poor children!
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Is there anyone here who knows about the private bus service that some HBS pupils use - I think it's called Fenella Air or something like that. I must have heard it wrong, but it's a private company that run a series of minibuses that will do a local pickup.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now