City of London School for Girls Offer

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Post by Amber »

- strange, why would someone be rude!
But isn't it nice to know that moderators won't tolerate it? A rare bastion of civility and good manners - I understand that some of these forums are rather a bun fight.
another mother

Post by another mother »

Ladyblahblah - have sent you a pm - not sure if you've seen it.
Enjoy the open day - nothing like going back knowing you have an offer to see the school in a new light.
They do run it very well at CLSG and it is persuasive!
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

londonmum wrote:You do need to accept that there will be a lot of catching up in subjects like maths Latin and French and that homework may be a shock.
No knowledge of CLSG itself but my daughters are at similarly academic independent London schools. While homework was a bit of a shock to them after a state primary, there was no catching up required in maths and both their schools teach French and Latin from scratch - does CLSG really expect girls to have prior knowledge of these subjects?

Anyway, many congrats to Miss BlahBlah - others are right, they wouldn't offer her a place if there was doubt about her coping and presumably her head teacher's report confirmed her success in the entrance exam was a true reflection of her ability.
another mother

Post by another mother »

No catch up required when we started. And although lots of girls had done French (and they don't separate them as at SH which I think is a better system) - it all evens out quite fast.
No one had done Latin.
mad?

Post by mad? »

We had some catching up to do (perhaps a reflection of our specific primary) as DD had done no French or Latin. I told her to be prepared for this, and also for the fact that she would no longer be top of the class at everything. Like CLGS her school has s significant entry from the state sector and they were all largely in the same boat, had all largely caught up by half term and are all absolutely flying now. Londonmum is right, learning to be expedient rather than dutiful and diligent about homework took a while and it was a shock, but she caught up with the prep school kids on that front as well! Grrr
mad?
another mother

Post by another mother »

Don't say Grrr! Mad? It's a great life skill. Elder dd has perfected it and seems to achieve a lot on the number 4 bus - younger one still too good and will re-write things - athough I notice more collaboration going on so maybe that's good.
I do think it can take a while to believe you are as able coming in from the state system - especially if straightforward things like laying out an essay have never been taught to you. As for the projects! Those are just made for the over keen perfectionist..
mad?

Post by mad? »

another mother wrote:Don't say Grrr! Mad? It's a great life skill.
:lol:
another mother wrote: As for the projects! Those are just made for the over keen perfectionist..

or their over keen mums... :lol:
mad?
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

My elder DD is in year 7 and loving it. She attended a prep but lots of her friends did not and all seem to get on with their work and have no difficulties.

The only difference I could see between them is that some girls were not used to the homework regime at first, but that was short lived.

CLSG has not got the most impressive school buildings but it has a fantastic atmosphere and work ethic. The girls are from all backgrounds and genuinely get on well and support each other.
another mother

Post by another mother »

not me mad? ! Projects I can do without :lol:

Ellie - you are right - it does settle down but certainly in my Dds cohort it took a while. Maybe they are more lenient these days. which would be a good thing!
mad?

Post by mad? »

another mother wrote:not me mad? ! Projects I can do without :lol:

!
me too :lol:
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now