waiting list advice please

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Oscar

waiting list advice please

Post by Oscar »

My dd is currently on two waiting lists, our first and second choice.
We are very lucky to have four other places in hand. I want to reply as soon as possible to the others as aware that people are desperately waiting for places but until I know what she's getting I don't know what to do.

My dd is desperate for her second choice and I mean really desperate.
I don't want to drive the registrar mad but equally I know from friends who have been in a similar position being in the right place at the right time gets you the place.

Any advice as to what is acceptable and what is not. I have phoned both wait list schools and begged politely but no news yet.
Any ideas?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Oscar

Generally there won't be much movement until the state allocations and results are out as many people are using indies as back up for this. Also many will have several acceptances and others will be on the waiting lists for the schools for whcih you already have places and will in turn waiting for you to give up your place.

You only need to hang on to one of the 4 - give up the other three to let some others have a chance. You may have to pay a deposit for the one you keep - you will have to decide of paying this is and then losing it is worth guaranteeing a place while waiting for your top choices.

re pestering the school - TBH it depends on how many are on the list - have you found this out? if you are in the top 10 then reasonable to pester but if there are 30 or 40 ahead of you then it may not help (unless 39 of them decide to go elsewhere....). Maximum movement hapens over the next few weeks.

Good luck with