MTS costs involved

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zorro

Post by zorro »

Tipsy, £650 was very reasonable- DS going in 2 week's time -not so reasonable £1090!! :roll:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I was thinking exactly the same :lol: Mine is going on 2nd April and also cost morewith his state school, lucky you Tipsy :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Everything included too so very pleased! :D
East lancs mumof4

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

Wow :shock: Tipsy that is very reasonable :D How long is the trip for?

Just to agree with everyone to say there is no pressure to go on any of DD indie trips. I would say about 30% of DD year do go on at least one trip.(120 in year group)

DD was very fortunate to go on her first trip last year (year 7) to Poland with the Choir. The trip was for 1 week and the cost was £350 :shock: :D this included a trip to Auschwitz and many other day trips!! (Grandparents helped fund this trip too :D :D )

We paid more for her to go to Wales for 5 days with her state Primary :shock:
Nothing against Wales :wink: :lol:
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Everything included too so very pleased! :D
'Oh smug one' :lol:

We've also got to give him 100 euro's aswell the school said :twisted:
mommy

Post by mommy »

Suppose you are all quite right - guess some problems you tackle when you come to them!

Rob, was it very many years since you left MTS?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

25+ – that sounds a lot worse written down :shock:

That said, a couple of my old school friends now have their own boys there and my son knows some boys through tennis and badminton who are there. Everyone seems very happy with it.

I also have it on good authority that it’s considerably more academic than it was in my day… :lol:
Posey

MTs Costs

Post by Posey »

DS attended recently. A wonderful school. Very academic. Fabulous teachers, house system and tutor system are excellent. We aren't well off and mortgaged to pay the fees. DS only went on one of the residential trips (high percentage don't go on all the trips). Sports and extra-curricular are great and lots of opportunities to excel. Uniform and sports kit are pricey though. Teachers are dedicated. When we initially looked round I asked my son what he thought - not realising there was a teacher within earshot - he was impressed and had wanted to be there from the age of 5 when he took swimming lessons in their pool. The teacher interjected and said it was the best place in the world - and he meant it genuinely. Don't know if that helps much with the initial question regarding costs but thought I put my tuppence worth in!
mommy

Post by mommy »

Thanks Posey - your 'tuppence' is really appreciated!!

I have just looked at the Pullens site for uniform/ sports kits prices and boy are you right :roll: We are hoping the used uniforms store will serve us better!

Its a shame no trips are included in the fees - considering they are pretty high. Must admit it is a shame 'cause DS has been looking at the 'new boys' stuff on their web-site and getting quite excited about some of the previous expeditions put up there. And there is me sitting up trying to do sums on everyting :cry:
cindrella

MTS costs and other..

Post by cindrella »

HI Mommy,
I have one friend's son going this year to MTS and a cousins son (year 8) too- They both had an offer from local grammer schools and both their parents have chosen MTS. They really don't regret their decision. My cousin nephew is really happy there I spoke to him in detail about his new routine to school and all - like you there are a lot of parents on the brim financially, but the school is fabulous teaching is very good and they get more opportunities in this school. Chances for going to a good uni are high. They said to me that once you have seen MTS and seen how they conduct their entrance tests you just don't want to go anywhere else. It all pays back in the end.
You have an elite child with Elite discipline in the end. If you can afford it go for it but Grammar schools are good too - no doubt. and there is nothing wrong in giving a chance to someone who can't afford to join private school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now