Cutting Edge - Thursday 11th March

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Not for me I'm afraid, I didn't enjoy it, made me feel very sad really. I'd rather my children played with toys than dictionaries, nor would I want my child to say that if he didn't get through, he'd have let me down. Magwich we have more in common than I'd have ever thought :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

magwich2 wrote:Another one bites the dust for Master Magwich!!!!!!
My God - why on earth would one want one's lovely child to be subjected to such a bear garden.
Do remind me to renew my membership of the communist party!!!!!!!!
I must be very dim :oops: The context of the documentary is not what is familiar to me but the people seemed sincere to me...but perhaps I have become dimmer since passing 40.What do you mean Magwich?
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Thoroughly enjoyed that. I was rooting for Tumi and was so glad he won a place. I'm surprised one of the places was turned down.

I think it was a positive portrayal of the school and was particularly impressed with the fact that it was an old scholarship boy providing the funds for the scholarships. It shows that there is a real sense of giving back.

Thought it was fairly typical that it was the parents who were stressing about/pushing for the place (although Krishan was possibly the most driven child I've seen). Not so different from the 11+ in that respect!
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Really enjoyed the documentary. I was very taken with Mr Beckwith and his efforts to allow the 'rough diamonds' an opportunity to shine.

Found Krishnan a bit too much, for a 10 year old there should be more to life than Webster's Dictionary (I will not be buying one!!!); I cringed for Tumi during his debating session and was a tad annoyed that the other boy did not take the scholarship - that was an offer that could have gone to a boy who really wanted it- why put the boy up for it if you are looking at other schools.

It was better than I thought it would be.
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

I suspect the headmaster had a hunch that Alex would perhaps not take the scholarship as he would be 'being courted' by rival schools.......Three Beckwith scholarships in one year is very rare indeed - As is being grade 7 in two instruments by the age of 11!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

First-timer wrote: I was rooting for Tumi and was so glad he won a place.
Same here, just a normal boy and I was really happy about that. At least it gives hope to some of us in the state sytem hoping to go through that.

One thing I noticed is most children on there were ethnic minority and it just show the how different cultures place importance on education. I know most people would find that quite sad to put your kids through that but for reasons I dare not venture into, they have to for any decent chance of success. Its just the way it is.

I am so impressed by Mr Beckworth's generous offer (what more can I say when I am secretly hoping to get one of those next year) :oops:
Impossible is Nothing.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Mummyto3 wrote: Found Krishnan a bit too much,
It was better than I thought it would be.
I do agree in a sense but that was his parent's fault.He was a lovely boy who will go very far but very heavily coached....but I supposed it worked for them!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Mummyto3 wrote:was a tad annoyed that the other boy did not take the scholarship - that was an offer that could have gone to a boy who really wanted it- why put the boy up for it if you are looking at other schools.
Thats what quite a few people on this forum do. Did you see how many who bowed out on the 2 March when they got some grammar schools. Some even had scholarships and it too makes me sad that someone who really wanted it missed the chance
Impossible is Nothing.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hmmmm.

I enjoyed the documentary.

I found Krishnan one of the most annoying children ever. I thought he was too well versed in what to say.

I found the amount of tutoring (2 years for the 11+ :oops: ) for the boy (sorry, can't remember his name) whose father came from Yorkshire exceedingly painful - he eventually gained a place in grammar, but I couldn't help feeling it was only because he'd had so much tutoring and it wasn't purely familiaristion (which is why he didn't get through the secondary round at Harrow - he was 'found out').

I thought Alexander was a nice young man and really wanted him to get the scholarship and was actually quite pleased when he didn't take it up.

Didn't at all like the forlock tugging each year to the benefactor, I feel a yearly report on the boys should have sufficed. I found it very belittling they had to stand in front of all and sundry giving their thanks! :shock:

All I seemed to hear was about the 'prestige' and very little about the education.

But I did enjoy it.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Sassie'sDad wrote:Even more potentially interesting is "My New Best Friend" BBC Four, Tuesday 16 01:25 - 02:24, a documentary about the nature of friendship among children: four 11-year-old girls leave the familiarity of their prep schools to join Cheltenham Ladies' College.
That's a repeat from a couple of years ago - well worth watching though. For some reason it's always on at that time, I stumbled on it by accident on my way to bed and ended up watching it all the way through.

Mike