Anyone know any schools likely to have Y9 places for Sept?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pepys

Post by pepys »

No not yet, we will be looking at it after term has started. We have received the prospectus. Just as well it is DS2 we are looking at it for, as RE is compulsory for GCSE, it would have been DS1's biggest nightmare.

Re Reeds, I met a boy at Whitgift when DS1 was auditioning for music scholarship, he was looking at changing over from Reeds. His mum was not happy with either the music at Reeds or the year 7 and 8 teaching there. Not sure what is happening there as it is a popular destination for our school at 13+.

Now that time is moving on, having similar moments of calm as you Psycho ward. Maybe it is the Easter holidays and panic will set in again once term starts.
psycho ward

Post by psycho ward »

I agree with you re: the R.E. It seems such a waste of a GCSE - or am I just a heathen.
The biggest problem I am having with schools is that my son loves Spanish and Latin. Trying to find a school that can offer these 2 subjects is proving very hard - that's why Whitgift and Trinity appealed so much. Who am I kidding - to find any decent school with a place available would make me happy at the moment!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Psycho

think RE ain't what it was - far more ethics and philosophy (and hence more useful) than how it was in my day .....

Ancient Herman
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

From what I have heard Reed's is a lovely school for the right boy. I have no direct experience of current year 7 pupils, but I have known a couple of masters there and have a good friend who looked at it very closely, but decided it was too far away in the end. It has a reputation of being less academic and nurturing the boys and has great facilities. I think it is well worth a look and perhaps ask some searching questions. If they have had departures they may well be happy to take on more.
Amber

Post by Amber »

The study of RE in some form is compulsory for all students in England until 16. Some schools make the children take an exam in it because they are studying it anyway and might as well do it - this is worth half a GCSE. Round here, I think it is compulsory to do the exam in all schools. (Though as I have been dishing out inaccurate information on Science, it is quite possible that someone will correct me on this too - feel free!)

Other schools don't insist on the exam, but students still have to attend lessons, even if they are dressed up as philosophy and ethics.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Some schools take a whole GCSE (as a GCSE option) but other do a hlaf GCSE and this is compulsory as Amber says. Quite useful if you are going to be in a job where you have to understand how people thinks
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

I don't know any current Reeds boys but I know some old boys. The school certainly used to have a reputation for being for less academic, sporty boys. It does have fab facilities and is worth a look. I would be concerned about the large exodus but I'm sure they wouldn't be surprised if you asked some searching questions about it.

Going back to Bishop Challoner in Shortlands - I visited it with my friend (the one whose ds is without a school). It is definitely Catholic (crucifixes on the walls in the classrooms) which threw me a bit but apparently 50% of the children aren't Catholic. The majority of the senior school pupils are boys as lots of the junior school girls move to Coloma rather than stay for the senior school.

The school is small (40 in a year - 20 per class) but it has 2 science labs, an art room, a DT room, an IT room and a drama room (although this is in a portakabin at the moment). I thought that all of the teachers were lovely and the atmosphere was very welcoming. It is supposed to be a very nurturing school.

There are no sports facilities on site other than a gym - they use Norman Park and some other playing field I can't remember the name of at the moment!! :? They also do stuff at the Spa in Beckenham. Fencing is very big at the school. My friend's ds really liked it but it wouldn't suit everyone - if you are looking for Whitgift-level facilities then it would be a no-no. If you have a quiet child suited to a small environment then it should be on your list. Horses for courses etc etc. :) Obviously the fees are massively less than Whitgift though!! :D

Hope this helps!
psycho ward

Post by psycho ward »

Great information - thanks! Will let you all know how we get on! PS Found the New Testament today. Will have a good night's sleep having read Matthew 6:34. Maybe I'm not such a heathen after all!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Matthew 6:34 .. good one. ....

never sure about the "sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"....
RIC1984

Rochester Independent College

Post by RIC1984 »

Rochester Independent College still has places for Year 7, Year 9 and Sixth Form entry.

Minibus services from Maidstone, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge. Located opposite Rochester railway station. Bromley South 20 mins by train.