scholarship advice Kings

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Post by Amber »

has her heart set on Cambridge...a long story but she likes the idea that you stay in halls for the whole time etc amongst other things...
Might change her mind when she tastes the food!

Seriously - there are other collegiate universities which aren't quite so hard to get into (and being brilliant is absolutely no guarantee of getting into Cambridge - with some students I have experience of it seems arbitrary, to be honest) - Durham, Oxford of course. But I realise this isn't your main point. And while I too am a big fan of 3 separate sciences, especially if you want to be a medic, a close friend who teaches the dual award says it doesn't make any difference.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

observer wrote:I noticed that too, that they have separate CE tests for state school pupils, but it doesn't mention it in the Kings Scholarship tests section
Scholarships are very little and in Kings' case up to 25% and with day fees of about £7000 a term thats really nothing. What you'll be looking at is a bursary which is up to 100% and as long as your DD passes the normal exams then they will consider them for bursary if you have applied for it. It really is up to you if you want to try for the scholarship too but you dont have to. Hope that makes sense.

With a bursary it last for the 5years but they periodically review it normally annually so if your income goes up then the bursary amount will be lower. With scholarships though there is no review, even though in the small print they say if your child'd perfomances drops below a certain level they could withdraw it

The reason I am not too keen on scholarships (unless they are worth more) is that they have certain clauses attached and you have to read them and understand them. Some schools states the headteacher will choose the subjects you will take in your Alevels, so make sure you know what the school policy is otherwise she may want to do medicine and the headteacher says no if she is a schloar by asking her to do other subjects. Saying that scholars are highly valued at Kings in their colourful purple gown and they can get married in the cathderal among other benefits and they can bring a goat to one of the courtyard. Thank God no one has done this so far :roll:
Impossible is Nothing.
observer

Post by observer »

Thanks Amber, that is reassuring (about the double science.) You're right that Cambridge isn't the be all and end all for medicine especially...but it just seems unfair for her not even to have a chance of trying. (Trust her to want Trinity no less!) I feel like it is my duty as her Mum to make sure she has at least the chance to go for it, even if she does eventually change her mind. I just don't want it to be the case that she is 'forced' to change her mind by not having a chance to get the grades necessary. Like you say, why shouldn't she aim for the top?
observer

Post by observer »

Sherry -d- That is great advice about the bursary vs the scholarship...I didn't realise that they could offer 100% bursary without having sat the scholarship tests too. (heaven knows how I came up with that though to be honest!)

That is interesting about the scholarship/head choosing subjects etc too. Eeeek..so much to look into.
Love the bit about the goat! Would be hilarious if they did :)
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Sherry-d ...my OH was a King's scholar and tells a number of stories of what they are 'entitled' to do (and did! :oops: :shock: :lol: ) There were and always will be a good mix of pupils there, but as you say, the scholarship is not a large 'discount' so the bursary route may be worth pursuing. The school tends to be very helpful, and well worth approaching for advice.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

observer wrote:You're right that Cambridge isn't the be all and end all for medicine especially...but it just seems unfair for her not even to have a chance of trying. (Trust her to want Trinity no less!) I feel like it is my duty as her Mum to make sure she has at least the chance to go for it, even if she does eventually change her mind.
You sound like my twin Observer :wink:

I am exactly like you, my DD is only 10 and dont even have a clue as to what she is going to be. She want to be a singer :roll: but I want her to have the best chances of going to oxbridge. Pushy mum maybe but I dont care in life you have to be pushed. Even if she doesnt end up there but at least some of the top universities. Its a fact that access to these top universities is restricted to an elite few. I am not sure if you have seen the sutton report but these inequalituies exist and of the top 30 schools that send to oxbridge and top unis just one is a state schools. I will do what I think is the best and of course not everyone is going to agree with that.

If this is really what you are after I think you'll find it hard to find any comparable indie near canterbury that sends to oxbridge so you may be best to stay in grammar and just see how best you can improve the chances. This will give you an idea of the school that have a high hit rate to cambridge http://www.suttontrust.com/reports/Univ ... ssions.pdf

Cambidge may portray itself like its takes kids on strength but certainly isnt the case. They are still very much dominated by indies. This is how they got their students this year (page 5) http://www.varsity.co.uk/archive/700.pdf
PB Mum wrote:The school tends to be very helpful, and well worth approaching for advice.
Agree the schools are normally very good about that so give them a call and arrange a visit one of their open days. And dont forget this forum too :wink: full of people who know quite a bit and i have found the advice invaluable. I started where you are too wondering how we would afford it with scholarships that low but I was quickly corrected. Still have to go through the process and all the hoops but am really greatful to the people who have offered me advice here
Impossible is Nothing.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

It probably doesn't matter, as sherry_d's point about applying for a bursary may be more relevant, but I believe that the answer to your question on the KSC scholarship is that your DD would be at a significant disadvantage.
The January exams are a means of having a level playing field for those not studying CE (State school, overseas students, or girls who moved at 11 to an all-girls Indie and want to change).

However no such accommodation is made at the scholarship stage. These papers are a step above CE and in many cases are GCSE standard being administered to 12/13 year olds. The only chance would be if she had an impressive strength in 1 or 2 particular subjects.
The school should easilly be able to clarify this for you.

On the kids flying in from Surrey :shock: :lol: , I suppose that you could find that in any Indie. KCS was our 2nd choice for DS1, and we know parents with DC already there. They are not loaded, are very grounded, but, like most of those on this site, demand a great deal of and for their children
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

These papers are a step above CE and in many cases are GCSE standard being administered to 12/13 year olds.
Good heavens - if this is true whatever is the point of sending them to school to study for their GCSEs then? As an outsider, this all sounds completely over-boiled to me - either designed to put people off or to encourage even more intensive coaching than even we in Gloucestershire see. This appalls me, frankly - being able to answer a GCSE question at 12 is not a sign of intelligence but of intense preparation. Said it before and will say it again - poor kids.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Amber,

No need to be appalled! :lol: At my son's school (finishes in Yr8) they are purely given work they are capable of so if they can cope with GCSE and A'level topics then they will be stretched (not coached or tutored) and likewise those that are struggling will be given the appropriate work. Many inde schools see GCSE as a box ticking exercise and frankly don't teach GCSE syllabus. It made be laugh in the GSG that come exam time Westminster needs to check that they haven't missed out a few topics at A'level as they have been teaching the students university level subjects.

How else can a school pick out a scholar if they just get high marks in common entrance? Scholars have to be exceptional.

EDIT: Meant to add Amber that your comments may be seen as offensive to a number of members on here who have not coached their children and yet they have been able to answer GCSE questions from as young as 6, and I 'm not just talking about my son, who is very happy - nits, scraped knees, splinters and all!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes, my daughter has been doing GCSE work since Year 8 too, and indeed,many state schools do it. But I am appalled that a school dishing out scholarships can do so on the basis of needing to be GCSE level before they even start. Does this mean that you are expecting primary schools to start GCSE syllabuses? There is more to life than being able to memorise facts for a GCSE; and there is more to being a scholar than being able to trot them out. I think it is very sad that able children will be excluded from scholarships because they haven't covered a syllabus. Surely it is better to look at potential than achievement? I have taught many children in the later stages of primary and who seem to be the very best; by the time the GCSEs come around they are very average - and vice versa. Being able to spot potential is much harder than being able to mark straightforward achievement - but there are new tests to do this and surely they are much fairer to all.

Just seen your bit about being offensive and of course I would be sorry if this were the case but frankly doubt it. I too have a child who could probably have answered GCSE questions in some subjects at about 6, because he has that kind of brain and exceptional abilities in some areas. I wouldn't put him up for GCSEs though! I think it disingenuous to suggest I was being offensive - I stand by my point that to base a scholarship exam on GCSE questions is unfair and there would not be very many 12 year olds who could perform across the curriculum at that standard without intense preparation.