scholarship advice Kings

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Observer they are not reserved for prep school kids. Often state school kids get offered them at 11+ and prep school kids at 13+. As mentioned they will giver your DD a different type of test as she may not have covered some subjects.

Scholarships are purely for academic merit and status, bursaries are for financial need and if DD is very bright but does not get a scholarship then she may get a bursary. It used to be the case that you could only get a bursary if you had a scholarship in place but since the charity commission have put pressure on schools this is not the case in most schools now. Your best bet is to be in contact with the school as they will give you the appropriate information.
observer

Post by observer »

Thanks Tipsy. I was just going on Firsttimebuyers advice that Kings don't make exceptions for state school candidates for scholarships.
Will contact the school to find out more though.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If King's won't make allowances then normally the scholarship exams require a child to pick three optional papers out of 7, not including the core Maths, English and Science. The options can include a harder maths paper - not sure if King's works in the same way.

Have you thought about any other schools - potentially a sixth form place at a boys school such as Westminster or Charterhouse should she not be successful? Six form places place more emphasis on the GCSE results rather than scholarship papers so the playing field is more even.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Bear in mind Kings is a 13+ entry only (and mainly boarding at that), so largely state schoolkids don't even apply.

The places are not in any way reserved. It just works out that way because the prep schools are the only ones which will prepare them for that standard of exam (and definitely not all prep schools I should add).

This is a link to the 2010 scholars announcement:
http://www.kings-school.co.uk/news_1.as ... ws=0:43739

You will see that at 13+ it is all preps, with half or so from their own excellent prep school, Junior Kings.
At 16+ there are some GS entrants.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Found this which shows some flexibility

http://www.kings-school.co.uk/document_ ... id=1:31643
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now