The benefit of quality uniform

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
East lancs mumof4

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

I quite like my new name - ELMO4- Inky :lol: I am so envious of your DD's legs :P

yoyo -Wow :shock: :lol: I have a mental image of you in a long skirt with a pair of shoes sticking out of the bottom (age 11) and my DD thinks she has it hard :lol: :lol:
Oh and yes DD also has a compulsary summer uniform too :x
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

£45 for a kilt. OMG! Hope ours work out cheaper than that!
East lancs mumof4

Tracy - I know :shock: I did manage to buy one at the second hand sale though at £12, DD prefers this one too, says it is much softer :? :lol:
Is there perhaps a second hand sale at your DD's school?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

We will see. Waiting to get all the info through the door soon, dd starts in sept.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

My ex has been banging on about uniform tonight. She's just done a course for Charity (accountancy) where she stated that schools who give bursaries should also cover uniform costs. I said it depends on the school and the terms of the foundation. So then she started quoting the public benefit stuff. Frankly the Charities Commission is one of the many government quangos I will be happy to see the back of. Funny thing is she didn't pay a penny towards the uniform anyway!

I worked out (from online look at school outfitters) that the full uniform including sports gear would come close on £700. The jacket/blaser is £120 alone. We made good savings from buying as much as would fit from school shop jacket (new) £60, skirts £80! But at the end of the day it will still be a lot less than the extra fees.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Not being an 'Indie' parent myself :oops: but one who's DD is going to a girls Grammar in September :D (proud mummy moment), I do like the idea of the set uniform. Where everyone is the same!

At my current DDs school, there is a uniform policy, i.e. grey skirt, grey trousers, blue jumper, you can choose the school jumper if you want but the uniform can be bought from anywhere. Yes great on cost, but a real mis-match of styles and looks messy!!

At least at my DDs new school, the skirts/trousers/shirts/jumpers/PE kits etc., all have to be bought from the school shop. The girls will all look the same, look smart, no one stands out as different and will look like they should, schoolgirls, not the next fashionista - not in itself a bad thing, but there is a time and place. School not being one of them!!! :roll:

Yes the cost will be far higher than those at the local stores, but more often than not the quality is far higher and the items last longer (unless they grow too quickly :roll: ).
Heartmum x x x
Milla

Post by Milla »

plus the thing that they'd have to be wearing something so you're always going to have to shell out! Plus, with regard to value for money - has anyone else reeled in horror at the prices in Jack Wills, A&F, Cult (Superdry) etc?? I must say the internet has become my friend (well, I do happen to find myself on it from time to time :wink: ) at seeking out bargains.
DS2's uniform is going to be more expensive (generally better-heeled parents?!??!? :? ) than DS1's which is pretty good value - blazers about £40. (It pays to be small.)
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I found at my DDs prep that they just grew out of the uniform before it wore out so the secondhand shop was great!!

Uniform a little OTT though - 3 hats - winter felt hat, summer straw hat and winter fleece teacosy type hat - all logoed...
East lancs mumof4

£700 Sassie's dad :shock: :shock: - (gracefully falls to floor)

My DD's school does help out with - a percentage of uniform costs to some Bursary children :D

There are many, seemingly unworn :shock:, items of uniform to be grabbed at our second-hand sale though, for a fraction of the cost of new. :D
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

£700 already planned for and long ago resigned to. And just in case you really believe those other posters: your dd's will always be looking to out do each other! My dd2 has just spent her own money at JW and her "best friend" has spent £130 (quite modest for JW {I have a 20 year old who I still pay for at JW} in the half term! And yes the prices are outrageous and I spend the best part of every year sailing in the Salcombe Estuary (Salcombe is the Head Office of JW). But I ask you if you had one life and wanted to have a ball, what would you do?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now