St Pauls Girls School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
proudswan

Post by proudswan »

Tipsy, I think you are taking cream to be the same meaning as "cream of the crop" whereas the cream mentioned here is not of that type :wink:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Still don't get it! :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

TIPSY - do you know what clotted cream is??

Very rich and very very thick
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm Margarine then - thick and a poor substitute! :lol: :oops:
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

I assume most children from the preps will have been taught to a higher standard and will have a head start in at least Latin, French etc
This would indeed be an assumption - not often supported by evidence and experience!

Certainly some children will have been taught these subjects - but once they are into the secondary school curriculum, others soon catch up if they have the aptitude.

If your child has been offered a place at St Paul's, she can hold her head up with the rest of them and will probably fly once she is there. Good luck to her.
SPGSmole

Re: St Pauls Girls School

Post by SPGSmole »

Harrowparent wrote:What do parents think of SPGS?

Would this be a suitable school for a state school child, would they be able to mix and integrate with the children there?

I assume most of the parents would be quite well off, we are a ordinary family with a ordinary income, who when holidaying choose cheap destinations like Haven, or a deal to Spain.

I went to the open day and most of the parents and children seem to know each other, we felt a little left out. We are having second thoughts. I would hate to think our DD would be left out, not make friends.

Any opinions good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

HarrowParent
Your daughter will find that being state or prep school is not the deciding factor as to which friends she makes. She will make friends because of the quality of her character. She has been offered a place as an exceptional student with tremendous potential and she will find herself among others like her with an enthusiasm for learning. She may turn out to be a great actress, netball player, singer, painter, mathematician, chess player, debater, creative writer, swimmer...anything! She will also make friends in other year groups based on where her own interests take her. It's not a good thing to turn up on her first day at school assuming that she is in some way an imposter because of family income. She is obviously an elite student as she has an offer from St Paul's. In many ways her ability to secure a place despite missing the hot-house coaching that the prep schools often offer makes your daughter even more outstanding. You may be surprised to know that most of the class teachers of year 7 don't know which schools the pupils come from - they could find out, it's freely available for them to ask but they tend not to bother as it simply doesn't matter as it has no bearing on what happens in a St Paul's year 7 classroom.
weepiglet

Post by weepiglet »

SPGSmole wrote:In many ways her ability to secure a place despite missing the hot-house coaching that the prep schools often offer makes your daughter even more outstanding.
Quite right! In *every* way, I'd have said.

I hope you've decided to send her :)
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

weepiglet wrote:
SPGSmole wrote:In many ways her ability to secure a place despite missing the hot-house coaching that the prep schools often offer makes your daughter even more outstanding.
Quite right! In *every* way, I'd have said.
That's just what I think but haven't quite dared to say here!
Harrowparent

Post by Harrowparent »

We have decided that St Paul’s will be the school that will challenge her most both academically and physically with its excellent sports facilities. As a parent we still and probably will have until she is settled in and happy, doubts about whether she will fit in her with her fellow students, both socially and academically

We fully appreciate the comments made on this forum and this has gone someway to reassure us.

SPGSmole, it sounds like you have firsthand experience at this school, either as a parent or teacher!
SPGSmole

Post by SPGSmole »

Can assure all parents that St Paul's only wants girls who are going to be happy. There's no point in any other approach.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now