Merchant's taylor Crosby

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ealingmum

Merchant's taylor Crosby

Post by ealingmum »

The report of the court case involving the false allegations against a teacher at this school by one of the pupils is deeply worrying. What does this case about the privileged boys(s) at this school - if this was the 'local comp' wouldn't there be leader columns in the mail and the DT.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well on the bright side it shows that boys at independent schools are as normal as boys at state schools - good, bad, ugly and smelly.
dinah

Post by dinah »

And that teachers at any type of school can be equally strange..
guest43

Post by guest43 »

On the positive side..hey a young Classics teacher! You have to wonder how this case ever reached court though?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I wasn't aware of this case so I googled it. The teacher sounded incredibly naive. How did the boys know where she lived? Why did she buy them cider? Why didn't she call the police? How could she go to bed (and it appears the door wasn't locked) with the boys still in the house? I'm not saying that anything happened, just that she displayed extremely poor judgement. :shock:
weepiglet

Post by weepiglet »

KS10 wrote:I wasn't aware of this case so I googled it. The teacher sounded incredibly naive. How did the boys know where she lived? Why did she buy them cider? Why didn't she call the police? How could she go to bed (and it appears the door wasn't locked) with the boys still in the house? I'm not saying that anything happened, just that she displayed extremely poor judgement. :shock:
I Googled it and found what must be the account you're describing. I could hardly believe what I was reading! If that account is accurate then I have to say I'm not surprised that the teacher lost her job. Not because of the allegation, which has now been found to have been a lie, but because of what she *admitted* having done.

The school in question was local to me when I was growing up, and it used to have a good reputation. I bet they experience a significant drop in applications now, in view of the way some of the boys are allegedly allowed to behave in class :shock:
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

This is not 'normal' behaviour by anybody's standard.
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

The teacher was on GMTV this morning, she said she wasn't required to be qualified as a teacher to do this job, which sounds a bit worrying. /She was incredibly inexperienced. Also that there is a chance she could be reinstated but does not want to go back to teaching anymore. She did add that it is an excellent school.
Charl39
mad?

Re: Merchant's taylor Crosby

Post by mad? »

ealingmum wrote:What does this case about the privileged boys(s) at this school - if this was the 'local comp' wouldn't there be leader columns in the mail and the DT.
In the DT there was.
mad?
resmum

Post by resmum »

Her behaviour was completely unprofessional and must have violated any child protection policy the school had in place.

Even if she did not have a formal teaching qualification, the school should have ensured she fully understood child protection policies and understood the boundaries between pupils and teachers before taking up her post.

If the students were under 18 she should have been prosecuted for supplying alcohol to minors.

I would certainly be asking the governors a few questions if I were forking out £8k a year for my child to be a pupil at this school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now