Am not happy!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Post by katel »

"The curriculum at School is the sum total of all of the experiences that we plan for students. It includes timetabled lessons, assemblies and Chapel services, sporting fixtures, choir tours, private study, Duke of Edinburgh expeditions, careers interviews, drama productions, visits to galleries, musical productions, form tutor time, science clubs, the School Council and everything else that we do. In short, the curriculum encompasses the three main ‘Pillars’ on which our school stands – the Academic, the Pastoral and the Co-Curricular."

Not sure how this differs - apart from Chapel - from my dd's state grammar school. Except that she is expected to voluntarily take part in the activities she is lucky enough to be offered by the school - they aren't compulsory. And, except in exceptional circumstances - a crucial match or a performance, for example - they would not over ride a birthday celebration. Which is, in my opinion, how it should be.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

If a child is getting pulled in two (or more directions) by staff from different departments there should be a Head of House (or similar) to contact who should support the pupil in getting a sensible balance between extra curricular & academic activities/ not 'overdoing' it

Indeed. You will never get Head of Girls' PE to see the merits of Drama and v.v.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Not sure how this differs - apart from Chapel - from my dd's state grammar school. Except that she is expected to voluntarily take part in the activities .

The difference is voluntary/compulsory. The listed activities are regarded with the same regard as if they were part of the National Curriculum in a State school i.e. not part of a pick and mix and in no way secondary to the academic work. In practice it is in the team sports where compulsion is the norm if selected.

Let's be clear the vast majority of pupils and parents are quite happy about this. A much higher % of pupils get the opportunity to play in team sports than is the case in local Grammar schools.

It should be said however that the girls do not share the same enthusiasm for compulsory tied back (or short) non-dyed hair though!
katel

Post by katel »

I have to say that my dd's involvement in music/sporting activities at her school is voluntary - but it would be a brave year 9 who refused!

Don't understand the desire for things like games - apart from a healthy amount during the school day - to be compulsory. Those who are good at them and enjoy them will participate without compulsion - I see no reason for those that aren't good at them and don't enjoy them to be forced to give up their Saturdays to them.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

katel wrote:I have to say that my dd's involvement in music/sporting activities at her school is voluntary - but it would be a brave year 9 who refused!
Same here. They are "voluntary" which is code for- you will be in deep trouble if you refuse the honour... :shock:
Milla

Post by Milla »

katel wrote:Don't understand the desire for things like games - apart from a healthy amount during the school day - to be compulsory. Those who are good at them and enjoy them will participate without compulsion - I see no reason for those that aren't good at them and don't enjoy them to be forced to give up their Saturdays to them.
Apart from the practicalities - if staff are going to the hassle of fixing up matches, arranging mini-buses, PTA doing teas and stuff - and then the children decide at whim whether to stroll in or not.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I agree Milla, it also teache's children about being a team and can be excellent for morale and self esteem, to feel important, part of a group etc etc.

Midget's GS he will attend in Sept state that if children turn up to any club they will be expected to take part in those games/matches and they will take priority in the evenings or weekend's. I don't mind because we have been advised so it's now down to us if we decide to enter the club's or not.
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

My daughter hobbled apprehensively into the sports hall first thing this morning to inform her games teacher (state) that she wouldn't be able to take part in an after-school athletics match this afternoon because she injured her knee in a club event yesterday. The teacher wasn't 'too cross, because it was an injury'.
katel

Post by katel »

"
Apart from the practicalities - if staff are going to the hassle of fixing up matches, arranging mini-buses, PTA doing teas and stuff - and then the children decide at whim whether to stroll in or not."

But of course if it's a match or if you're in a team you turn up!! Unless I musunderstood the OP she was talking about a routine games session. Her son wasn't suggesting that he wouldn't play in a fixture becauae it was his birthday, just that he would miss a games session.
mad?

Post by mad? »

katel wrote:But of course if it's a match or if you're in a team you turn up!!
According to the OP it was a cricket match...
mad?