Bursary info please

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ah - may have some luck with year 9 entry at indies... bursaries / scholarships tend to be limited to usual points of entry at the school. Could you say which schools you might be looking at - maybe someone will be able to give some more advice
KB

Post by KB »

Have you already got a place & are nowlooking at finance?
All the Indies locally here have completed selection process for year 9 entry for this September so the schools who still have spaces may be pretty limited.
mimi20

Post by mimi20 »

Well I have spoken with the school, and arranged a visit, and also spoken about bursaries.

This particular school is not academically selective, so there is no entrance test and there are a couple of spaces left.

The only problem is, I really can't afford it unless I get a huge amount off the fees, so do I really want to raise DD's hopes by looking round the school? Ahhhhhhh, just don't know what to do!

Too scared to post the school name, in case I give my identity away!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

can see your problem - you need to have a serious conversation with the bursar methinks . Nothing worse than getting DD excited about the school then not being able to send her there.
T12ACY

Re: Bursary info please

Post by T12ACY »

mimi20 I am in a very similar position. Have made contact with local Indie, although DS knows about it he has been firmly told it is a very slim chance, but like you we would need significant bursary which am not overly confident of. However without exploring the option we would never know!

Good luck x
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Hi, I do sympathise with you. May I offer you some advice? My dd is at Rugby School as a Scholar and with a 100% bursary. My experience is that even with all this good luck things can and do go wrong!
Firstly, we moved address two months after dd started at school. Bursary did not send us a bill for the first term (most expensive extra fees) at least it never arrived. Other problems arose. I would urge you to interview the school / bursary very closely and make sure they keep you closely informed. It is not plain sailing or easy. Whether or not it is worth it is a discussion for another time!
hooha

Post by hooha »

hi

My DS had won an academic scholarship and 100% bursary was given, not that we were on the bread line, but simply that they really wanted him! I do have to say though ....the pressure to perform and be the best is huge and behaviour has to be impeccable!! It pushes all the anxiety buttons.......Given the choice, I would rather pay the full fees (if possible) and not have these pressures :(
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

Can someone please suggest if any Independent school offers discount in fee based on the merit in the admission test for secondary school place irrespective of household income.

is this generally possible in UK

any ideas please

i am in slough, berkshire: plz also suggest if any school you does like above in berkshire

thanks for ur help
cheers
chandra
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

What you are describing is an academic scholarship and these vary from 10% up to 50% (though this is very variable and I suspect that 50% is rare these days).
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

hermanmunster wrote:What you are describing is an academic scholarship and these vary from 10% up to 50% (though this is very variable and I suspect that 50% is rare these days).
thanks for correcting me. does the academic scholarship or any discount given in fee is based on house hold income ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now