How much would one sacrifice to put kids in Indie?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: How much would one sacrifice to put kids in Indie?

Post by hermanmunster »

sherry_d wrote:Time to have our own 11+ lotto syndicate me thinks :oops:
Euro millions seem the best bet.

now that is a good idea - just think how many sets of fees we could pay ... or even set up our own schools...
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

.. also the school fees I paid DOUBLED over 7 years

Wow, that is crazy! The school I am looking at has doubled their fees, but over 20 years. (Used to work there at that time) Which makes me wonder if they are due for large increases..... :?

Mentioned it to DH (remarried couple of years ago) last night and he didn't talk to me for the rest of the evening :(
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

My DH has his head in the sand as well re DD2 - I am categorically NOT sending her to the local comp, not unless he wants to be a grandad in 54 years time 8-) and not overkeen on the Catholic Comp either where most of DD2's friends are going (will she 'throw' her 11+ just be be with them?) - so I have said we will need to fund the indie route, just for 1 of 3 children. I think it's about £700 a month for our admittedly cheap indie, but still we can't afford it....
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

Having been in this position a number of years I can relay what we ve gone thru
My wife and I chose to put both kids in independent schools and whilst we have dseen them do well it has meant that our house is not the most striking in the road and that the cars we drive are at least ten years old .Foreign holidays and expensive pursuits are also very rare but we have been fine with this up till now .However for the last year it has struck me how peers of ours who have stuck with the state sector have done equally well and with the aid of tutors managed to achieve very impressive results .With the disposable income they have their lifestyle is very much superior and I have to say knowing what I do now perhaps if I had my chance again I would "brave" the state sector and supplement thru private tutors .
Just my expereince and thoughts.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Food for thought. Actually since my post the cr4p secondary has improved muchly...we have also had good news re DD2's progress from her tutor, who expects her to pass her 11+ :) so we are going to throw everything at it for the next year in a bid to get her through (but from a postion where we have confidence that she CAN do it!), and hope for the best. Re the house we are already fighting above our weight so it would actually mean selling and downsizing if we did it that way and I wouldn't do that....
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

My wife and I chose to put both kids in independent schools and whilst we have dseen them do well it has meant that our house is not the most striking in the road and that the cars we drive are at least ten years old .Foreign holidays and expensive pursuits are also very rare but we have been fine with this up till now .
Sounds like us now so I have no hope indie for my dcs. :shock: Oh well they'll just have to take their chances in the state sector!!! :wink:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
admissionslady

Post by admissionslady »

As the Registrar at a Grammar School, I have to agree with Suncrest - only consider it if you really can afford it. If you are having to make enormous sacrifies this could mean that even quite small changes in your circumstances could make independent school unaffordable. I receive so many calls from parents who can no longer afford the fees of their child's school and want a place at this school - and of course they are vanishingly rare away from the main point of entry in year 7. So then the child has the first disruption of being taken out of a school in which s/he is settled and the second of being placed in whichever school happens to have vacancies - and which may not be one of the most highly regarded schools in your area.
So - go for independent if that's what you prefer, and you are absolutely certain that the fees will be manageable throughout your child's school career. Otherwise, choose wisely at year 7 or you could end up with something you really don't want in a year or so's time.
morrisdancingmummy

Post by morrisdancingmummy »

Was an indie Mum now State (but sometimes miss it!)

I am probably not alone here.
DD1 10 yrs old now. Me a full time professional DH full time self employed, earning well. DD1 VERY bright entered Indie in pre-prep and very happy so she stayed, we could afford it!
Not intending to have any more kids!

Dd1 aged 8 pregant again. (ahem) DD2 arrives, my job massive upheaval, DH in building trade (need I say more) despite her academic scholarship, I did say she was bright! and help from relatives HAD to take her out.

DD1 is now more happy, confident and with MANY more nice friends than ever at the indie.
Lovely small 'village' school suited her down to the ground.
DD2 now age 3 looking at small village schools for her too.

DD1 trying for out-of-our area grammars as I'm not sure very laissez faire local comp suits her as she is used to very regimented structured, ordered learning (thanks to indie+ her personality traits)
If she doesn't get 11+ (has not had external tutor, have taught her myself as only realised very late it was an option) am toying with indie sector again as only other options catholic/ anglican church schools (we won't get a place as not religious enough!)

Basically my advice is:
Go indie if you really want to but be prepared for costs to rocket. You need to cost in uniform/ trips/ lunches as well as them wanting to keep up with the pony set. And make sure your child knows that they may be the 'poorest' kid in the class. The other kids will let them know if you don't!

Yoyu are not just buying exam results for them, you are buying entry into a different 'world' make sure you are happy with that before you start. Don't sacrifce your family life for a few GCSE grades.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

.. also the school fees I paid DOUBLED over 7 years

sorry 8 years :oops: the termly fees a small prep in 1997 were about £750 - when we left in 2005 they had just gone up to £1500... then moved to another small prep where the 05-06 fees were £1800 finishing at £ 2200 in 2010./

Bottom line - be sure you can afford it before you start. I was going to do private senior and could have done it working ++... 5 years into the 10 year plan I am fed up of working +++ and am glad I can reduce my hours a bit without getting too stressed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now