Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm 

My friends daughter is trying to get into the girls junior school. They are very stressed about it. No joke I have not read ANYTHING positive about the school. Yes everyone thinks it is a fantastic school for results. But the general opinion is that it is a totally mad hot house for kids with poor pastoral care that is only interested in results. It has no real interest in sport or drama and will chuck a child out if it starts finding things difficult etc etc rather then support the child.

The views I have read are so vehement that I thought I would ask for opinions here. It is either one of the most pressured unpleasant sounding places I have heard of or equally there must be a very heavy dose of sour grapes from a lot of people, maybe as it is so difficult to get in. Which is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:01 pm 

Where did you read these views?
I know the Boy's school is very hard to get into but I don't think the Girl's school is .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm 

really? I thought the girsl school was harder?

Various chat boards - both education specific ones and more chatty ones

I spoke to someone else today whose daughter had also sat for the junior school that said there were 900 applications for 20 places - seems difficult to get in to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:09 pm 

20 places doesn't sound much, mind you I am talking about the Senior Schools . When my DS applied I think there were 1000+ for 150 places!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 pm 

I think you've been mislead. Plenty of very nice well mannered girls there, not all of whom are that bright (hope they're not reading!).

Sport is pretty well catered for. Gymnastics is a particular strength, Habs Girls being one of the few schools in the are to be regulars at GISGA (and they do quite well)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:07 pm 

Yes, I have been told that it's not as academic as the Boy's School.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:35 am 

Well I don't know a great deal about it personally (my Kids are /have been at Parmiter's) but, I do know of three girls who have gone to Habs and they all aced all of their GCSE's with A*'s Two are sitting their A levels and one has gone to Oxford. But who knows really, lots of kids Ace their GCSE's with top grades, ccertainly some do at Parmiter's, and that is a free education! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:42 am 

"think you've been mislead. Plenty of very nice well mannered girls there, not all of whom are that bright"

really - I have heard from various places of girls being asked to leave if they do not make the mark so would have thought standard very very high? Shows how opinions can vary so much.

recent results

girls:

gcse www.habsgirls.org.uk/sub_page.php?agegr ... ction_id=1

a levels www.habsgirls.org.uk/sub_page.php?agegr ... ction_id=3

boys www.habsboys.org.uk/info/examinations/Aresults09.doc

The girls look pretty competitive to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:23 pm 

My guess is that the entry level for those staying on (we're talking about Primary - Secondary transition here, right?) would be lower than the required level for an outsider to get in.

We know quite a few girls in Yr6 and I don't think any are being chucked out, although I do know that some are continuing their education elsewhere, alledgedly for financial reasons. Can we get figures on a % rejected?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 pm 

Do you mean a number for those who are asked to move on? Not sure where one could get those figures from - school unlikely to divulge.