Bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Posey

Bursary

Post by Posey »

Help anyone please. I know how Bursaries work initially but do indies generally repeat the award each year unless there is a marked rise in salary? This is assuming DC keeps up the good work which earned the award in the first place. :? Should add that there is no marked rise on the horizon and would hate to accept an award only to have it removed a year or two down the line because the right questions were not asked at the onset.
Amber

Post by Amber »

There is usually a 'terms and conditions' letter which comes to you at the beginning. I think most indies expect a financial statement to be signed each year, stating that you still can't afford the fees, which is fair enough really - if you won the lottery, I suppose you couldn't really expect to still get the fees paid. Equally, if your income drops further and you are on a partial bursary, they can stump up a bit more. Best to read the terms for your individual school and if they aren't clear, then contact the bursar and ask for clarification.
Posey

Bursary

Post by Posey »

Thanks Amber. No brainer if income doesn't move. Just wanted to know really if anyone had any experience of a bursary award and didn't have normal (cost of living etc) increase in income and then didn't get the bursary when they next applied. Appreciate what you're saying.
East lancs mumof4

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

Hi Posey, My DD is in year 8 and on a Bursary. We were told from the Bursar that the bursary 'would continue' throughout DD's time at her indie unless there was a marked increase in income which is very fair! Each year we have to submit 'all' our financial paperwork and hope and pray that the Bursary continues :shock: I do think they take into account the normal cost of living and also the rise in fees! :D We are truly grateful as without this award there is no way on that DD would be able to attend this amazing school.

Has one of your DC been awarded a Bursary or are you thinking of the future?
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I concur with all of the advice given. Certainly at my son's school it seems like less of a re - application and more of a confirmation that there has been no significant change in our finances(although we do have to fill out the same detailed form each year).
hooha

Re: Bursary

Post by hooha »

yes...the bursary does cover the whole of the childs time at the school, some schools are more relaxed than others and don't ask for financial details annually. Please read the terms and conditions on the bursary - if it goes pear shaped you may have to stump up the full amount of the bursary that you have had!! :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now