child care vouchers and boarding / after school activities

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Re: child care vouchers and boarding / after school activiti

Post by mike1880 »

If there's one thing Gordon Brown should really have been hung, drawn and quartered for it's the godawful shambles he made of the tax system.

Anyway; there's a childcare element to WTC but not to CTC so I'm not sure I understand the question, unless you mean "can I claim CTC and also childcare vouchers?" - to which the answer is "yes".

Mike
dinah

Post by dinah »

If you earn too much to claim to claim WTC you may still be entitled to CTC. You are also entitled to claim against your child care costs before and after school if your child is under 15 up to £ 240 per week.If you contribute to boarding fees(even with a bursary) , some of which will be care before lessons start and after they end, then in principle you must surely be able to claim for the child care allowance . This allowance has nothing to do with the vouchers which are provided by employers . It is simply an allowance paid towards child care if your income is low enough and you pay for child care before and after school in an ofsted registered establishment -which all boarding school will be.
mother night

Post by mother night »

This was a hot topic for me several years ago when they became available and as the money for the vouchers is taken at source so as to make it tax free, it makes your basic salary look less- which could be explained to a lender if you're going to move but what worried me is that my tax contributions would be affected detrimentally- even if it was by a small amount.
I had a very switched on childminder a few years later who accepted vouchers and I always feel that what the government give with one hand, they take with the other and I'm completely fixated by my pension- definition of a grown up... :wink:

MN
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now