independent schools in the 3 counties

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mygirlsloveponies

independent schools in the 3 counties

Post by mygirlsloveponies »

Hi , I have just discovered this site - and want to ask opinions/advice on some of our choices for my dd1 , currently she is at prep yr 5, she (imo)is not overly academic, but is very musical, talented at drama and quite sporty, and very beloved by her current school .she is a very articulate confident, outgoing and highly sociable girl, but really not sharp intellectually, ( I am sure she will amke a terrific IT girl !!!!) We have looked at Westonbirt, Dean Close, MSJ, CLC

we want flexible boarding , lots of music and preferably an hrs drive from ross-on-wye

westonbirt - dd loves it , but not co-ed, too small, and too girly. and a long way from home
MSJ - too girly, not really achieving high enough
Dean close - we like it alot but worry it maybe too big
CLC - no flexi boarding , so have to go as day girl to start, worried might be too pressured.
Malvern College ( we are at feeder prep) but have never liked it . wonder if should go back and look again

we are going for a music scholarship and know that mal college is our best bet as at the feeder prep but scholarships not the be all and end all
really wish we could freeze her aged 10 so do not have to make this decsion, she could stay at prep until yr 8 but i think for girls it is better to join a school at 11 if it has its bigger intake then.
any one out there with cilldren at these schools ?
mygirlsloveponies

Re: independent schools in the 3 counties

forgot also looked at Rendcomb - fab boarding but not keen on anything else , it was open day and most classes were locked, teachers wouldn't caht to us etc,
and Christ College Brecon - liked school and teachers but too far and boarding staff apathetic to say the least
not catholic so ruled out St Edwards, dd not bright enough for grammers ....ahhhhhhhh i feel my head is goign to explode
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I have heard just raving reviews about Deans Close :D

If my 11+ choice doesnt come to fruition, its very high up my my 13+.
Impossible is Nothing.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Freya

Post by Freya »

Hi mygirlsloveponies - I have sent you a PM.
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

What about Cheltenham College? It's co-ed now, though unless you want to transfer to the prep you would have to wait 2 more years? Not sure about flexible boarding though, don't think that there are formal exeats in senior school though a lot of the prep kids are not there at the weekend (sister-in-law's complaint that full boarding provision at this age was not good, she was abroad).

My sister-in-law has 5 kids between them: 2 to CLC; 1 to Rencomb and (last) 2 to Cheltenham College. Also son of a very close friend started at Cheltenham College 18 months ago after agonising over whether to take place at Winchester or scholarship at Cheltenhm College.

CLC very big, very academic, rejected no 3 outright despite 2 older sisters there and her mother having been a student.

Child got a music scholarship to Rencomb, though it was a bit of last minute panic application. Child was happy but mother probably wouldn't have sent her there if had had more considered approach.

Cheltenham College good all round if not top tier status. Good Music, good sports. Girl there did extremely well getting cup for all round achievement or someting similar on departure, son lead the orchestra. Mother thought that on the balance the advantage of Cheltenham College over CLC was greater opportunities for leadership etc. (All her children are very musical and mostly pretty bright).

DC has excellent reputation for music.
P's mum
mygirlsloveponies

thank you so much for replying, and freya for your PM will try to reply when worked outhow to.

I guess I am hankering after CLC for the percieved advantage of being or having gone to a top tier school, not in snobby sense ( though a bit of that if truth be told :) ) But a good friend said last night when mulling over this " Your daughter is not goign to need entry into the world of law or banking were it might have an advantage because she will be winning x factor or getting rave reviews in the west end so get over it and send her to dean Close for the music and drama "

wise words - good thing i love her dearly or might have been a tad offended - but she is right .

it will be all out for a scholarship now as it is expensive this education lark and I have another dd who has only just started in recep at prep school...i will be working until i am old an grey !!!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now