Credit crunch

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:For a more accurate insight into whats going on in the independent sector:

http://www.isc.co.uk/publication_4_0_0_26_553.htm

but spin will prevail! :roll:
That a press release from the Independent Schools Council on the subject of Independent Schools financial status, could be regarded as spin-free is delicious! :lol:

A quick look at "Facts and Figures" on their website show that over 100,000 children are educated privately at schools not part of their organisation. Furthermore they claim membership for 80% of privately educated children, but not 80% of schools. Thus their non-members are smaller schools, and are more likely to be prep schools.
It is the smaller prep schools that have been failing, and it is possible that the failures are non-members.
However the other part of the spin in the press release is that they do not refer to schools having failed, but rather those that have joined or left the ISC. Any school that paid its annual membership, but has subsequently failed, will not yet appear on any list.
Agree with TIPSY: "spin will prevail :roll: " :lol: :lol:
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

membership for 80% of privately educated children, but not 80% of schools.

Can you explain this to me? My sons go to schools that are ISC members but my sons are not ISC members. :?
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... redundancy

In case anyone's head is still spinning, there is a list at the end of this Guardian article of the schools that folded in 2009 so far (6), as well as those seeking refuge in the State sector as academies(6).

Just to be clear I personally see this as hugely negative. The numbers are set to decline at my DSs prep next September, and I would not take its survival as assured over the next three years.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:
membership for 80% of privately educated children, but not 80% of schools.

Can you explain this to me? My sons go to schools that are ISC members but my sons are not ISC members. :?
With pleasure. It's just simple maths.
ISC represent 80% of children, but only (say) 75% of schools, because the members tend to be big schools and the non-members tend to be small schools.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My small brain worked it out after I'd posted! :oops:
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

As Esher Mum's DH advised us a few days ago, another large senior girl's school has failed.
St David's Ashford (Surrey), formerly known as the Welsh School.

Link is: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 138700.ece

This school had quite poor results for an Independent School for girls in a wealthy area (although still materially better than State schools in Surrey) . It didn't make it into the FT Top 1000. Numbers were falling since before the credit crunch, but this is probably what finished it off.

This is a complete disaster for DC facing into exams within a few months :cry:

The most telling line from the Times article is reported as being from the letter from the Chairman of the Board of Governors to the parents:

But increased numbers taking entrance exams had not translated into names on the roll, and the school could not withstand the pressures of rising costs, demographic fluctuations, the credit crunch and recession, he said.

There has been much whistling in the wind about increased numbers applying for independnent schools this year. As we have discussed earlier on this thread, it does not necessarly mean that numbers will be up this September. Falling numbers are much more likely.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Unless its one of the famous schools or the very selective over-suscribed schools then its worrying for parents to know whether or not to take a chance sending DC to other independents. Of course the majority cannot afford or are not bright enough for the super selectives. When looking at a prep school for DS2 this year I found, what I thought was, the perfect school. But as it only had 90 pupils and was in a stonking mansion I was really concerned that this would be the type to flounder in the recession due to its size and because it was mainly full boarding too. I'm waiting to see if I was right.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Tipsy I have PM'ed you.
FTB
lion63

Post by lion63 »

FirstTimeBuyer wrote:
But increased numbers taking entrance exams had not translated into names on the roll, and the school could not withstand the pressures of rising costs, demographic fluctuations, the credit crunch and recession, he said.
FirstTimeBuyer wrote:
There has been much whistling in the wind about increased numbers applying for independnent schools this year. As we have discussed earlier on this thread, it does not necessarly mean that numbers will be up this September. Falling numbers are much more likely.
One would have expected increased applications to local selective grammar schools too.

In the case of Queen Elizabeth's Boys in Barnet, 1331 applied for 2009 Entry compared with 1346 for current Yr 7 and 1257 for current Yr 8.

So it would appear that roughly the same number of boys have applied, with an obvious yearly upward trend, to a number of selective grammar and independent schools for various reasons - to get into a particular grammar,independent or to hedge their bets in both sectors.

Presumbly the waiting list for this school might move more slowly this year due to fewer taking up places at Haberdashers(Elstree), Merchant Taylors and the local independents in this part of London and the surrounding counties(St. Albans etc) due to the credit crunch.

However, there is no way to predict what any family would do. An acquaintance has decided to send his daughter to St. Paul's despite the great sacrifices his family will have to make to see her through her education there.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

lion63 wrote:One would have expected increased applications to local selective grammar schools too.

In the case of Queen Elizabeth's Boys in Barnet, 1331 applied for 2009 Entry compared with 1346 for current Yr 7 and 1257 for current Yr 8.

So it would appear that roughly the same number of boys have applied, with an obvious yearly upward trend, to a number of selective grammar and independent schools for various reasons - to get into a particular grammar,independent or to hedge their bets in both sectors.
Agree no obvious trend in that Barnet school. However the numbers for entire county of Kent were up some 10% or so, well outside normal fluctuations. Also I seem to recall that an early post on this thread said demand had pushed up cutoff scores in Birmingham.
When was the last date for registration for QEBB?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now