Scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nada

Scholarship

Post by nada »

Our DD is year 5 now and we have been advised that she has good chances of getting scholarship for Independent school. My questions is, would that scholarship be for one year only, i.e. year 7 or longer? How does that work?
Nathair

Re: Scolarship

Post by Nathair »

It totally depends on the school, some want you to reapply ever year :shock: The one my daughter got says "We expect this award to run for 7 years" Then a bit about as long as standards are kept and financial circumstances don't change. It can also depend on what the scholarship is for ie. a choral scholarship may be withdrawn if the child refuses to be in the choir, or a sports scholarship may be withdrawn if the child won't attend practises/matches. You need to contact the school and check the small print.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

The ones I have seen for most schools last the 7 years but there is always a disclaimer that the child is exected to keep an interest in the area they are a scholar.

Bursaries are the ones that are normally offered for 7 years but they reassess your income annually.

Do bear in mind that these days most scholarship are about 10% and only a handful at 20% these days.
Impossible is Nothing.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. My DD has a scholarship but it only offers a 10% reduction in fees. It runs from Yr 7 to 11, subject to good academic performance and behaviour. Academic scholarships of significant fee reductions do still exist at certain schools, but each is different. As with all things talk to the school direct. You are not dealing with a giant bureaucratic government monolith!

I think you may be more interested in bursaries. These can be for larger fee reductions. These are means-tested but typically also in practice require a high academic standard. It is more common for these to run for year to year, depending on whether your income rises. Again talk to the school (any decent school should also have this info on their website)
nada

Post by nada »

Thanks all for your replies. Now I will phone the school and see what they will tell me about academic scholarship that we are interested for.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Nada

I see you are in Kingston. Kingston grammar has very generous scholarships which are worth 50%. We were offered one but went elsewhere in the end. You might want to have a look
Sassie'sDad

Re: Scholarship

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Nada, I urge you to go for broke. My dd earned an academic scholarship to Rugby School and because we are 'hard up' they have awarded her a full bursary to meet the remaining 90% of fees after her academic scholarship (10%). She has just completed her fist year. She has gained consistently high academic results despite being ill and (this last term) finding it hard to be friends with such a small (5) number of female students in the year group. I wish you well and please do not give up!

edited a touch by herman as post was potentially identifying someone
nada

Post by nada »

It seems more complicated then I thought. I phoned a couple of schools in Surrey but they are very vague about the percentage they are giving. Apparently, it depends on a number of applicants.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

If there is a particular school you have in mind that your DC really wants to go for then why not have a go? The entrance scholarship fee at our school was £100 with another £900 payable on successful completion. I thought my child would pass the entrance but not necessarily the scholarship. Well she confounded me and the school returned the first fee and waived the second. It has also gone out of its way to make clear that they value able children like her and will give them every support including financial. Not every school is as as well endowed. However I do think that all good schools are keen to give access to people who simply cannot begin to afford the fees but show real academic merit. When we set out on this adventure the idea that she would go to the school because she had been offered a scholarship leaving annual £15k less 10% plus those burgeoning extras others have warned about was risible. But we have so far proved sometimes the impossible is possible!
zorro

Post by zorro »

You can also apply for scholarships once at the school. My son did not apply for a scholarship on entering the school at Y7 as we had no idea he was bright enough having been at state primary where academic excellence was not celebrated! :roll:
We were advised by his tutor at the beginning of Y8 that he should apply for an allround academic scholarship for 13+ going into Y9.We just heard this morning that he has been awarded an Academic Exhibition worth 5% of fees.