Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:04 am

All times are UTC

A small question. Do you think it's stupid that public and private schools are the same thing?
That's not even correct! 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Definitely. All the time. Public and private are exact oppostites so it is rather strange! 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:16 pm 

It's me, Hana! (Yep, I've come again! :twisted: )

Does anyone know when we get the results for the independant (or the other) schools?

Another thing, I'm a bit confused :? . Can someone tell me about what state schools and comprehensive schools are? I don't know the difference - or are they the same :?:

Please someone answer these questions,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:26 pm 

Hana - state schools are the ones that are funded by the government through taxation - around 95% of children go to this sort of school. Independent schools are funded by the fees that parents pay, and sometimes by money that people leave them in their wills and things like that. Comprehensive schools are the sort of schools that most children go to after they leave primary school at 10/11. They stay there until they leave school, at 16 or 18. They are non-selective schools- that means they take anyone regardless of ability. Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:43 pm 

Thanks a lot katel!
That really helped! Sometimes I'm a bit stupid . . . I understand everything now!!! :wink:

And thanks again. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:53 pm 
Obviously got the brains but no common sense! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:22 pm 
That's funny!
You made me laugh :lol: :!:

So...
Any answers to the first question then?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:47 am 

Does anyone know when we get the results for the independant (or the other) schools?

Yes, a bunch of schools in North London - Hertfordshire - Elstree etc.(HABS, MT, Upper Latymer, Highgate, City of London, etc) will all post results on the 22/02 and you have until 05/03 to reply, which means that you will aslo know the state schools allocation by then as well.

As for common sense in schools' terminology: they call some fee-paying schools like Eton as public schools in this country. Until two years ago I thought "public" meant "state", but no it doesn't! If this is common sense terminology then I am Mini Mouse! :lol:

INEX

Another thing, I'm a bit confused :? . Can someone tell me about what state schools and comprehensive schools are? I don't know the difference - or are they the same :?:

Please someone answer these questions,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:49 pm 

Thanks for everyone's helpful advice!
If anyone wants to add anything - please do.

Oh yeah, and sj355, you pulled the words right out of my mouth about the confusion between the public and private schools! :lol:

And thanks again! :wink: