highgate

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest3

highgate

Post by guest3 »

Does anyone know what proportion of the 500 children sitting the exams for Highgate (11+) were invited back for interview-how many girls/boys?
My son was interviewed, and it would be good for his confidence (or maybe our own?) to know that this was an achievement of sorts. There were a number of girls also being interviewed at the time and I know the number of boy places is estimated to be only around 20, to allow for a larger intake of girls. Any info would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I'm astonished that there were 500+ applicants this year. How do you know the number. I'm interested because we plan to go for this school next year.
guest3

highgate

Post by guest3 »

Sorry-misremembered letter from the school which said that 'over 400' had sat the tests. It would have been useful to know the number being interviewed.
I think many of those children are applying for a number of independent schools so it is not as bad as it sounds! They really want to get the number of girls established hence the planned intake.
They also do a 13+ entry

Re: highgate

Post by Guest »

In a previous letter they said they interview around 80% and since there were over 400, I estimate that around 320 pupils were interviewed.

INEX
guest3 wrote:Sorry-misremembered letter from the school which said that 'over 400' had sat the tests. It would have been useful to know the number being interviewed.
I think many of those children are applying for a number of independent schools so it is not as bad as it sounds! They really want to get the number of girls established hence the planned intake.
They also do a 13+ entry

Post by Guest »

My daughter sat latymer upper exam. 690 sit the exam, about half are interviewed for 90 places.

I know that the collegiate interview about 150 for 60 places.

Post by Guest »

I know another London independent which interviews about 300 out of 600 candidates who take the exam, and they have about 80 external places up for grabs.

What would be a really interesting statistic to know would be the number of offers they normally make per available place. Clearly they offer more places than available because, as noted above, they know that most candidates will have also applied to other schools. Anyone know of any ratios, eg 2 to 1 or 2.5 to 1? Clearly it will be slightly different for different schools.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I was told reliably by someone at an independent school in Northen London that given the fact thant the same crowds (i.e. pupils) appear in the exams taken by independent schools in certain areas the true ratio of success of a pupil from the test stage to actually securing an offer in at least one of the schools (s)he has applied to is around 1 in every 2.5. So the odds are not as daunting as they may intially sound. I suppose they transform this statistic in each school into forming their offer policies accordingly plys by taking into account their reputation factor (some schools are aware that they are more likely to be first choices than others, and hence less likely to receive a rejection to an offer they make).

INEX
Anonymous wrote:I know another London independent which interviews about 300 out of 600 candidates who take the exam, and they have about 80 external places up for grabs.

What would be a really interesting statistic to know would be the number of offers they normally make per available place. Clearly they offer more places than available because, as noted above, they know that most candidates will have also applied to other schools. Anyone know of any ratios, eg 2 to 1 or 2.5 to 1? Clearly it will be slightly different for different schools.
sj355

Post by Guest »

We considered Highgate last year. Of the many schools we visited, putting academic achievement aside, Highgate came out bottom. At the end of our tour I felt physically sick as a part of the school seemed to be experiencing a drainage problem. Some would say it's the results that matter, indeed it does, but I was completely turned off. Not to mention a few other observations.

Good luck to those who are keen!

Post by Guest »

Just to put the other side of the story, our son is at Highgate and we are very happy with the school. Never noticed any drainage problems - where was this exactly!?

Post by Guest »

Just to put the other side of the story, our son is at Highgate and we are very happy with the school. Never noticed any drainage problems - where was this exactly!?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now