Forum exclusively for independent schools? Similar to this?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cranleigh

Forum exclusively for independent schools? Similar to this?

Post by Cranleigh »

Just wondering if a forum for independent schools, as good as this one for 11+, existed? If so can anyone give any recommendations? Thanks.
guest43

Re: Forum exclusively for independent schools? Similar to th

Post by guest43 »

I wish...It would be nice not to have to continually deal with these constant myths

Myth 1-Independent schools are just like Grammar schools except you have to pay for them

Myth 2-Independent schools are for those who fail the 11+

Myth 3-All parents with children at Independent School are rich
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Curious there isn't one? Maybe someone should start one if not.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I was planning on starting one but the fire has gone out on that one! :lol:
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Relight your fire, please!

I've found there is very little information available, even from those that professionally advise!

I would actually pay for detailed, unbiased advice!
guest43

Post by guest43 »

One issue is that we independent school parents are a mixed bunch. There are at least four (not mutually exclusive) types of school contained within these threads

a-the highly selective well known mainly London based-often single gender
b-the boarding school
c-the outside the M25 independent day (typically co-ed and often with only two or three competing inde schools in its catchment)
d-the "mom and pop" small independent (often but not always non-selective)

Although not designed for parents you may wish to view

http://www.independentschoolsmagazine.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is online and free and covers some of the issues independent schools face
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Cranleigh wrote:I would actually pay for detailed, unbiased advice!
I think its near impossible to get unbiased reviews for indies because there could be money changing hands in the background. I did subscribe to that other "good" one online and I must say there is a lot of bias and sometimes tongue in the cheek stereotypical views to reinforce what people think about a certain school which maybe totally different to what it actually is.

In addition to the diff you highlight guest43 there are also families which have traditionally done indies and they normally go for certain types (normally public schools) so they dont need any reviews. The majority that need reviews are probably more first time buyers and they tend to go for certain types of schools too a bit diff from what traditionally indie families go for. Its very easy to see at open days who the main target market for a school is.

Even when the reviews are unbiased its really difficult to know if it suits your child. I saw one a while ago with very good independent reviews and it really is what these people say, however it was just not a suitable for my DD and we knew it straight away. I would still highly recommend this school but for certain children so this is why its important to visit the school to get a better understanding of what goes behind the scenes and see what your gut instincts tell you.
Impossible is Nothing.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

guest43 wrote:I wish...It would be nice not to have to continually deal with these constant myths
It seems to me that there are myths propagated about state schools too on this forum. It would be a great pity though for people to seek an enclave away from any alternative views.One of the most valuable aspects of this forum for me has been the genuine challenge to views I have held in some areas.It is enriching to hear from the "other side" surely?
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

Chelmsford mum wrote:One of the most valuable aspects of this forum for me has been the genuine challenge to views I have held in some areas.It is enriching to hear from the "other side" surely?
Oh yes, CM. Definitely. I've found it very useful to read others' views before visiting a school. Someone posts a concern which I may not have heard about beforehand and I've been able to look out for indications which I would otherwise have missed. It's good to hear others' positive and negative views before drawing my own conclusions...
Amber

Post by Amber »

Cranleigh wrote:
I would actually pay for detailed, unbiased advice!
There is no such thing as unbiased advice on schools, because every child and every parent is different, and every school is different too. Some people value academic excellence above all else; some look for good pastoral care; others for sports facilities or music. Many would say they want a mix of them all. I think it is true that myths are propagated by all types of people, not just indie parents. I agree that it is good to have one's own views challenged and tested - I have certainly learned a lot about myself on this forum, as well as others. One's view of a school can be tainted forever by an unhelpful secretary or an offhand teacher; equally it might be overly rosy if someone said something complimentary to your child on the way in. Go and look, is the only unbiased advice on the market which will do you any good!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now