Tiffin Girls School or Independant Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mark Thyme

Re: Tiffin Girls School or Independant Schools

Post by Mark Thyme »

Dragon, we went through the same dilemma last year, the choice was between St Paul's and Henrietta Barnet. In fact there were four parents from my daughter's school who had the same tough decision to make: free but excellent, or expensive but unparalleled (in reputation at least). Three, including us, plumped for St Paul's.

The quality of education at St Paul's is tremendous, and not just the teaching. But it is a very demanding environment. By contrast, one parent I know who's daughter goes to HBS and who teaches at a different secondary says that some of the teaching at HBS is distinctly average if not poor. The girls' intelligence and drive make up for it, though.

As for lack of uniform at SPGS, we had worried about that as well, but the younger girls really don't seem to care about fashion very much. And I'm afraid to say my daughter is one of the real scruffs. One other thing worth bearing in mind about SPGS, the girls tend to be on the odd, slightly awkward side. But as the head of my daughter's primary school said, "St Paul's is full of oddballs. Your daughter should fit right in."
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

londonmum wrote: any child getting Tiffin should have a really good chance of getting SPGS, providing they have something to say at interview, and would walk into any of the other Independents, who take largely on the basis of VR and non-VR scores.
I don't follow that logic. I don't see why a child who's spent months/years focusing on an exam which will be marked by a computer will necessarily have an advantage in an entrance system which also takes account of creativity and personality.

Also, do most London independents test VR and non-VR? Certainly, SPGS and LEH don't and of the 5 schools my younger daughter applied to 2 years ago, only Latymer Upper had a VR test.
mad?

Post by mad? »

cinnamon wrote: Also, do most London independents test VR and non-VR? Certainly, SPGS and LEH don't and of the 5 schools my younger daughter applied to 2 years ago, only Latymer Upper had a VR test.
Both consortia and some other indies sat for here and Latymer Upper the only one to measure VR or NVR, and then by all accounts as an add on quiz at the end of little diffiulty or time pressure, more a little light relief at the end of some rather trying papers than anything to test a candidate.
mad?
dragonbb2000

Post by dragonbb2000 »

I don’t know if long time preparation is useful for non-VR. We have a tutor for DD only from last month after she took Nonsuch school test. Before that time, she only did papers which bought from stationary store. Once she got used to the papers after several self-tests, she got similar score every time. It is hard to improve the score.

Recently I read an article, it said the university prefers state school students than independent school ones nowadays. Is it true?
la boume

Post by la boume »

Heard that too! I think the unies are looking for high-achivers from low-rated schools.
moved

Post by moved »

dragonbb2000 wrote:Recently I read an article, it said the university prefers state school students than independent school ones nowadays. Is it true?
Very good grammar schools are rated in the same way as the independent schools for the A-level multiplier. So that should not really enter into the argument.

Have you considered the free route until the end of year 11 and then the expensive route for the last two years? Perhaps with scholarship entry to a wider variety of public schools at this age.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

If university success rate is the most important thing to you then St Paul's has the highest percentage of girls going to Oxbridge from any school in the country.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

cinnamon wrote: Also, do most London independents test VR and non-VR? Certainly, SPGS and LEH don't and of the 5 schools my younger daughter applied to 2 years ago, only Latymer Upper had a VR test.
My understanding is that SPGS now use CAT tests to sort the very bright from the very tutored, and my assumption is that given this has the same aim as Tiffins VR and non VR the same candidates will shine in both.

My daughter shines in neither, with a remarkably poor performance in the Tiffin test and some pretty miserable CAT scores. However it did not stop her being offered places at some very selective indies, often seen as alternatives to SPGS, and she is doing just fine. Indeed, and for Sherry D, if she maintains her current place in the year group she should expect results which are at least as good as a fair proportion of both the Tiffin and SPGS cohorts, and without the pressure, or the astonishing amounts of homework that SPGS seems to dole out. It has been good for her to be able to find her own level. It seems to be that with a preselected group and aside from a small number of obviously very, very, clever girls, performance is strongly influenced by a willingness to pay attention in class, interest in the subject and some diligence with revision and homework.

I agree with Mark Thyme. One of my daughters friends is at SPGS and it is hard to see her elsewhere. A bright girl with a big personality, who will thrive with others to interact with, but who might have been overwhelming at one of the more genteel girls schools. I disagree though on the uniform. This girl has a huge wardrobe, and is now distinctly cooler and more sophisticated than her non SPGS peers. My concern would be a girl who was less able to hold her own. Perhaps my problem is that I find some of the mothers both competitive and intimidating, and some of their priorities unsympathetic. Indeed we turned down a place at St Pauls School for our son (he also failed Tiffin!) in part because of our discomfort at the pressure some of the boys were under, and the sense that it would not provide the sort of adolescence we wanted for him.
dragonbb2000

Post by dragonbb2000 »

moved wrote: Have you considered the free route until the end of year 11 and then the expensive route for the last two years? Perhaps with scholarship entry to a wider variety of public schools at this age.
Sorry , I don't get it. How it works? a scholarship to a public school?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there are a fair few scholarships / bursaries to private schools at years 7,9 and 12... They are often keen to attract high achievers into the 6th form to boost the results. have to bear in mind that it means leaving a familiar school to go to a new one with different staff / pupils at a time when they have to hit the ground running for A levels