Tiffin Girls School or Independant Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sherry_d

Re: Tiffin Girls School or Independant Schools

Post by sherry_d »

londonmum wrote:It is perfectly possible to get a scholarship to a major public school, or a place at any London private day school and yet not get through the 11+.
So true, 11+ is rigid in someways that even if you scored the maximum in one paper and miss the other paper by a mark its an overall fail whereas indies can offer a place if you show aptitude in one area.

Have you looked round at these schools because you'll have a much better idea which school is most suited to your DD. Most schools still let you go and have a second round after results so you could take that opportunity to look around and see how you feel.

If you will be struggling at the start if you chose St Paul then its no brainer what to do if she gets in Tiffin. You really dont want to start by scrimping and saving too much because fees go up more than the inflation rate then add cost of uniforms, extra curricular etc. As londonmum says you could always consider 6th form if your budget is a bit tight.
Impossible is Nothing.
moved

Post by moved »

londonmum wrote:I disagree with Moved. Such is the competition now, any child getting Tiffin should have a really good chance of getting SPGS, providing they have something to say at interview, and would walk into any of the other Independents, who take largely on the basis of VR and non-VR scores. This is not the case the other way round. You have to be astonishingly good, and astonishingly prepared to get into Tiffin. It is perfectly possible to get a scholarship to a major public school, or a place at any London private day school and yet not get through the 11+.
I hope that I had not implied that a child could not get into St.Pauls if they could get into Tiffin. I was assuming that Dragon had a daughter who was capable of getting into both. It was more a comment on the type of parent one may meet at St.Pauls, only a handful of bursaries are available. I liked the school very much, but on a personal note, we are an ordinary family and DC are in GS, had we remained in London, I would have put DC in Tiffins if they were lucky enough to pass the 11+. Limitless funding not being an option in a household of moderate income.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Mad? is right
:D :D :D
mad?
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

sherry_d wrote:then add cost of uniforms, extra curricular etc.
One problem is that there is no uniform, not even in Year 7, which in competitive and affluent West London can be expensive. Not many girls going through the difficult pre-teen and early teenage years are sufficiently confident to completely ignore peer pressure. Some girls start with Jack Wills everything, and move rapidly on. Much easier with uniform, even if from Year 9 up girls start getting uniform skirts and blouses tailored, so they look less like kids on their way to school, more like new recruits at an advertising agency on the Tube to work.

In terms of what is easier to get into, one Bute parent was told that within recent memory no Bute child had gained a place at Tiffin. Given about 50% go on to SPGS, I think the answer is obvious. I suspect this is much more about the willingness to undertake the amount of preparation required for Tiffin. I also wonder if it means that state school children using Independents as a back up, have some advantage in the VR and non-VR tests, as they will have done more of them.

It is noticeable amongst my daughter's friends that those at St Pauls have a lot more homework, and seem to have to work harder. Those good results are earned.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looks like 2 from Bute in 4 years - golly what a lot of exams those girls must take! 47 offers from the 2 Francis Holland's and only one place taken up - why so many doing the exam?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Happy children are successful children, choose the school that will in the longer term make your child happy and successful.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

stevew61 wrote:choose the school that will in the longer term make your child happy and successful.
How will you know if your child will be happy in the long term?
Impossible is Nothing.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

That is the million dollar question Sherry_D and I don't think anyone can answer it - I can't even get the House right! :oops:
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

hermanmunster wrote:Looks like 2 from Bute in 4 years - golly what a lot of exams those girls must take! 47 offers from the 2 Francis Holland's and only one place taken up - why so many doing the exam?
Probably because Francis Holland x 2 are in the same consortium as G&L and City. So you get your fall back without having to sit an extra exam. I think girls are normally advised to try for a maximum of 5 schools. Because Bute and other West London Preps end at 11, there is a need to have a completely safe fall-back. Grammars are different because they are so hard to get into and because they are the term before.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I know life is trying in London... but in parts of Yorkshire - the max at indies is 3 including GS ....