St Pauls Girls School - Social Network

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverflora

St Pauls Girls School - Social Network

Post by silverflora »

I am hoping that my daughter may be admitted to SPGS.

We are "out of town": Can anyone give me some idea of how supportive the parents guild is, and whether a parent of a new child from the country with no London ties will find sufficient support not to be limited to being stuck indoors with daytime tv?!

p.s. no dad on the scene.
Ed's mum

Re: St Pauls Girls School - Social Network

Post by Ed's mum »

Hello again Silverflora. Good to have you back.
Hopefully someone will soon be along who can help you.
silverflora

Post by silverflora »

Hello Ed's mum

Thank you for your kind words. Worried about my daughter being isolated as she would not have any primary school friends, buit I expect that children are resilient enough to cope with these things. Its just we parents who worry about them!
Last edited by silverflora on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Have you discussed it with her? If so, what does she want to do?
What are the travel implications if she stays where she is?
I think I can detect from your more recent posts that the 'desertion' is something you are worrying about. Obviously it must have hit you hard. I can understand how that feels. Clearly though you are worried about how this might affect your daughter at school; you are worrying about others' perceptions of you being a single parent and your daughter coming from a single parent family. I can categorically tell you that there are no such prejudices at the school my children attend but I suppose SPGS might be different.
I hope it all works out for you, I really do.
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Ed's mum wrote: you are worrying about others' perceptions of you being a single parent and your daughter coming from a single parent family.
I really hope Ed's mum is mistaken and that you aren't concerned about this - it's not the 1950s. Even when I was at secondary school in the 1970s nobody (parents or children) was bothered about children from single parent families (2 of my closest friends had no fathers around, it was no big deal).

I looked at the year list for my 12-year-old's London school: out of 108 girls, 16 seem to live with only 1 parent. Apart from one of those girls she's particularly friendly with, who she knows visits her dad abroad, I doubt my daughter is even aware of most classmates' family set-up.

While it's possible things at SPGS are different, I think it unlikely. London probably has more than its fair share of single parents.

As for the parents' guild, if it's anything like the equivalent at my daughters' schools, there's always lots going on. (Just looked at the St Paul's website, apparently parents help with lost property, which I'd love to do at younger daughter's school - it'd save me a lot of frustration and cash!)

Good luck with all this.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Don't worry about kids and you abeing a single parent, extremely common occurrence these days for kids.

Friend had a kid at a Prep in 90's - first term the teacher asked about reports "now who has 2 copies of their reports?" .... lots and lots of hands went up, all kids unbothered that reports would be being sent to 2 different addresses. It was my friends son who was feeling left out!
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

:D